Logo

Volvo 431 Motor - Timing Chain

alhenderson00

I recently had the timing chain break on my motor 431 DP. I am preparing to replace it and read in my online Seloc manual that "rotating the crank without the timing chain could damage pistons or valve train". Obviously, the crank has been rotated when I attempted to restart the motor. Anyone have any experience with this, and should i be expecting to repair/replace more that the cam and crank sprockets, timing chain, gaskets, etc?

Yes, with the crank rotating and the cam not, it could set up a valve /piston clash. I'm not sure on this particular engine though. I might pull the rocker covers and back the rockers all the way off and see if the valves all return to the seats. Put a straight edge accross the stems and see if they're the same height accross. Might even want to leak the cylds. down at this stage and see if any valves got bent.

alhenderson00, I believe that this engine may have what's called an "Interferance" valve train.
IOW's, the valves do have the potential for contacting the pistons shoud the camshaft stop rotating while the crankshaft is!
I could be wrong, and hope that I am!

Back