Logo

Varying temperatures (RWC 5.7 MPI, 2002 Crusader)

Morning. I'm noticing that on my starboard engine (recently installed 140 thermostat), the inner edge of the manifold that has the water inlet hose attached is roughly 40 degrees cooler than the side that doesn't (150 vs. 200 degrees). It obviously makes sense that the water inlet side would be cooler, but I'm concerned about the 200 degree reading. It's not ALWAYS that high, but 200 degrees is not uncommon. I get that reading RIGHT AT THE POINT where the manifold attaches to the head. Is that too hot? I don't want the salt water getting anywhere near boiling. My buddy on the dock is a mechanic (ish), and he says that, at that specific spot, there is only exhaust (no water), so I don't need to worry about it. Do I need to worry about it? :) Just trying to avoid any unnecessary damage.

As I mentioned, I just installed a factory 140 thermostat, and it seems to be working perfectly, based on my infrared gun readings at the temperature sender (135-155 degrees). But I didn't expect to see 200 degree readings anywhere. The valve covers are between 125 and 140 or so. The block down below is roughly 125. The outer portions of the manifolds and risers are between 100 and 115 degrees. The elbows are barely warm, maybe 90 degrees or so. Some of the spark plug wires are reading at 200 degrees, as are the heads of the metal bolts right next to the spark plug wires (which surprised me). Any thoughts on these 200 readings? Much appreciated, for any info you may have on this.

Scott

not exactly sure where you are measuring/calling the edge.....that said, every production V-block GM carb engine I've worked on has an exhaust cross over thru the intake to help with ensure adequate fuel vaporization....the passage runs mostly side-to-side but is skewed to match the ports in the heads...

Back