Logo

Using timing fixture on 1964 9.5 evinrude

I've watched several videos on using this timing tool to prefect timing and points. None of these videos say where the throttle needs to be set to start adjusting. I noticed that the mag plate moves as the throttle is advanced,and placing the tool on the keyed shaft and rotating the marks to top mark on the cam washer throws my points adjustment off . I'm using the ohms meter to try to get the marks to line up properly within the two marks on the mag plate. Thinking throttle position is important to do this. Any advice would be appreciated.

OK, thanks.it threw me when o mounted the time fixture and rotated to line up marks. Had set points with feeler gage earlier,yet the timing fixture was off the marks by three inches with points were open for top cylinder adjustment. That's when I noticed that changing the throttle position moves the mag plate and it's Mark's. Thanks for your patience Racerone.

The timing fixture is nothing but a " dummy flywheel" and you can use your actual flywheel for this procedure.-----The timing fixture gets the points opening at the correct time.----To be clear it is NOT where point gap is 0.020" and actual open setting of points can be 0.018 " or 0.022" and that does not matter.----You are timing the opening of the points relative to the rotating magnets.----Done correctly it gets you maximum spark.----Just finished a couple of 4 HP motors and used the flywheels to set opening of the breaker points.

Was not making mush progress with the fixture. Resorted to manually rotating crank until piston was as far up as it would go before starting back down. I set points at 0.020 and tried it. It fired up and ran, but would die down and shut off after around twenty seconds. Could hear air in carb when I primed it back.So I'm studying what the cause of primer leak
.Was I correct bringing the pistons to max height? My spark tester showed weak spark today. Guess I need to replace coils and wires. Dread getting that magneto plate off. Lol Again ,thanks for your time and advice.

I learned how to use the timing fixtures when I was a teenager doing most of the tune-ups at a Johnson dealer.----Nothing to it !---Any pictures of this motor ?----Magneto plate comes off easy in my opinion.----And you have to take it off to install coils / new sparkplug wires.

I learned how to use the timing fixtures when I was a teenager doing most of the tune-ups at a Johnson dealer.----Nothing to it !---Any pictures of this motor ?----Magneto plate comes off easy in my opinion.----And you have to take it off to install coils / new sparkplug wires.

Attachments

• IMG_20231001_130519953.jpg
    IMG_20231001_130519953.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20231001_130530292.jpg
    IMG_20231001_130530292.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 10
Why not compliment the refurbishment by replacing the head gasket. It appears in your pic that some corrosion is accumulating at the gasket seam. I replace the gasket on my 9.5. Quite simple and good insurance on a Aged motor. Torque values and bolt sequence tightening can be found in service manual or internet search. Great motors.

The early 64 and 65 models suffered from a lot of shaking at idle.-----Factory came out with a damper kit.-----I installed more than one of those kits in the late 1970's---I do not see the kit installed on this 1964 model.----Yes the later 67 to 73 were great motors. with the shaking issue resolved.

Just 2 more screws , a wee clip , a pivot bolt and the plate lifts off.

Why not compliment the refurbishment by replacing the head gasket. It appears in your pic that some corrosion is accumulating at the gasket seam. I replace the gasket on my 9.5. Quite simple and good insurance on a Aged motor. Torque values and bolt sequence tightening can be found in service manual or internet search. Great motors.
That's something I. Have been considering. Now I'll order the head gasket. Thanks for bringing it up.

Back