Logo

Using the Flushing Adaptor Kit

the_tassie_devil

Regular Contributor
G'day all,

I am wondering about the usage of the Flushing Kits that is sold for the OMC Stringer Stern Drives.

Are they supposed to be used with the engine turned off, and simply having the hose turned on at the tap, so the Raw water is simply flushed out of the unit with Fresh Clean Water?

Or, are they designed to be used with the engine running?

If the engine is running, what is there to stop the Impeller in the Leg from running dry, and wearing out?

My present "Flushing" arrangement uses a bit much drinking water I think.

Thanks,

Bruce.

PS. Launched the boat yesterday, and still sorting out the Cooling System.

PPS. Thanks to all who enabled me to get this far.

Last edited:
The adaptor is designed to be used with the engine running but in neutral ONLY. Enough water will flow down through the upper unit case to support the impeller. I don't know why the neutral only restriction, but OMC saying it in the instructions is good enough for me.

I suppose the "Neutral Only" stipulation is to stop the overheating of the Electro-magnetic coils within the Gearcase, as there is no external cooling at the base of the unit whilst it is out of the water.

Plus, to stop those people that don't remove the Prop from getting the hose, or other bits, tangled up in a spinning propeller.

Bruce.

i made my flushing kit with a garden hose and adapter that fits on the pickup tube just under the screen on bottom, just remember on the stringer models with electric shift dont turn hose on all the way are you will blow seals out

Those electric shift units are just a little different, the latter version went with side water pickups very conventional.

I use muffs, but then again 85' last of the stringer drive , is what i have.

I don't think the original designers thought to use muffs, i think they meant for you to remove the prop and then immerse the drive in a barrel of water.

With my little 3 hp air cooled outboard i immerse in a barrel of water.

My 70 hp Evinrude i use muffs it's a 76'.

Irish what did you do to connect to the pickup tube on the drive?

You threaded the pickup tube and use something to screw on the pickup tube and then screw on the garden hose?

Thats a great idea !

I was just talking to my friend who was at my house.

Bear with me a moment guy's while i pose a hypothetical question ?

Say i remove the impeller in my 85' stringer raw water pump. Then install a bravo style, engine mounted water pump and draw the water up.

Would there be any advantage, besides not having to take apart the drive when i want to change the impeller.

Engine mounted seems easier to do a impeller change.

Any opinions, thoughts guy's?

My $4 flushing tee. works great on the trailer.
and anytime I want to test my impeller in the lake, I just loosen the cap.
013.jpg

012.jpg

i got me a peice a 1/2 pvc pipe then a elbow then a threaded pvc adapter that would screw on to the garden hose then a 6 inch peice of heater hose and 2 spring clamps, the heater hose fits on the pickup tube the other end fits on the pvc the elbow brings it out to the side then you put the hose adapter on and hookup to hose, i used this on my boat because at the time my pockets were empty but i was allways good at improviseing[ hoorah] it allways worked for me when tuneing and checking drive and it never overheated once and you can allso winterize it by putting small peice of hose on it and run it into a 5 gal can of antefreeze but you got to put can on swim platform or hold it higher than lower unit

it was a nice boat 1977 webcraft 22 footer 351 windsor 235 hp,then my son was born with a kidney prob so we sold boat to help pay exspences he only has 1 kidney now stands 6ft 290lb and a 2degree black belt ah dads little bodyguard, hes 20 now and doing great

Back