Logo

Use anti-fouling paint on Props??

Every summer before I launch my boat the marina paints the bottom of the boat and both rudders with antifouling paint. Every winter when I pull the boat out to dry dock it the bottom is clean & the 2 prop shafts and the 2 propellers themselves are covered with barnacles 1/2 inch deep. I mean COMPLETELY covered. I use the boat in the salt water of the New York area. Is there a reason three different marinas have not painted the props or shafts? I took a walk around the boat yard today & noticed no one with an inboard engine has had their props or shafts painted. The boats with outboard motors have black propellers. Does anyone know why? Do you guys paint your Props & shafts? How do you guys keep your props & shafts from getting fouled with barnacles? Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks,
EP

Last edited:
Clue, all surfaces get paint, all bright work clean and bright. Metal like props, shafts, intake screens, are brass. Brass is bright work.
No sailor I ever knew, didn't know. All bright work, clean and bright. It should shine, Tell the monkeys to stop painting the bright work.

You paint the shaft and the hub of the prop but not the fluke{? spelling} it will run hot if you do.Don't know why but i know it to be true.

Back