Logo

Upperlower sealant

duo_prop_dad

Contributing Member
"What alternatives or substitu

"What alternatives or substitutes can be used for sealing the upper to lower on a Volvo 290? (270/280's too)

I see a problem with using like say, Permatex #2?

Would silicone sealant be ok?

Do the O-rings absolutely need to be re-newed?

Are O-rings from a bearing distributor or automotive service ok to use?

thanks, john"

"The correct o-rings from VP a

"The correct o-rings from VP are stock items. Don't know why in the world you would want to try to reinvent the wheel when what's available has worked for years and years! I've heard of others using Permatex avaition sealant to try to keep water off the surfaces but not as a replecement for o-rings.

Go back to whoever told you to use silicone instead of o-rings and tell him he owes you a beer for pulling your leg
lol.gif
"

"The sealant is listed in the

"The sealant is listed in the Volvo shop manual, I can't recall what it was, there surely has to be a substitute/ alternative.

Instructions say to coat surfaces before combining parts in addition to O-ring.

Silicone sealant was just a thought on my part, its used on a lot of parts nowadays....

The O-rings are still going to be used.

My local Volvo dealer has little stock.

John"

"John, I've been doing thi

"John, I've been doing this type of work since the late 60's. The rubber composite in the O-rings take what is referred to as a "set" when they have been installed for any duration!
Once set, they do not return to their original shape. They loose resiliency!
NO ONE reuses these O-rings successfully!

O-rings seal intrinsically. They actually require nothing on them. We use a sealant (or water proof grease occsasionally) to lubricate them so that they can nestle into position as they are being compressed.

You will be shooting yourself in the foot if you do not replace ALL O-rings when doing this work.
OEM are best. There are only a few of these whereby an off-the-shelf O-ring can be substituted. (has to do with the specified hardness, specified thickness as well as the chemical compatability)
OEM or Sierra would be recommended.

Sorry, no short cuts on this if you wish for your drive to remain protected!

You also have critical re-shimming to concern yourself with if you are changing a transmission and/or lower unit to a different Intermmediate housing.

."

Back