Logo

Upper mounts on 20hp 1985 - different for short and long shaft???

bigtime_mcalpine

Regular Contributor
Hi,
Marineengine lists two different upper mounts for long and short shaft for this vintage. Unfortunately, the one listed for s/s are $109 each with the longshaft ones being $40…

Why are the two different and what exactly are the differences, do any of you know?

The two bits are parts 325974 and 303879.

Thanks

Hi. I'm not seeing the 303879. The 325974 is what is coming up on both long and shortshaft. These are the non extendable housing, right?....no spacer for the longshaft. Upper mounts will be the same between shortshaft and longshaft. You should replace front mount too, even if it seems good....it might be starting to delaminate.

Can't say for certain concerning this particular model, but it is not unusual for the long shaft mounts to be made of a slightly harder rubber to withstand the additional leverage exerted by the longer shaft.

I just was sorting parts in my shop, moving around some motors. The mounts on the long and the short LOOK/APPEAR identical.

That seems ridiculous to me. The LONGSHAFT should have more stress on it, so they should be MORE expensive....I'd get a new set of longshaft mounts, I've replaced many as this is the motor we run at camp. I have plenty experience with these....that said: I've still got lots to learn!......that's why I read the Forum.

Last edited:
Pricing of OMC / BRP parts remains a mystery.-----Showed a dealer a while back that kit ( impeller , 4 screws and grommet) , was less than the impeller by itself.

Amen, Racer. I've been involved with regular outboard repair since my first complete overhaul in 1966, of a 2 1/2 Johnson. I really thought those tiny pistons were so cool. How smooth they run with 2 fires per revolution. Just rebuilt another last summer for a happy customer. Talk about enduring engineering, eh?

Hey Tim, it’s a bit off topic…but once you got back into Canada, we’re you able to use the drums of fuel that sat for a couple years?

Hi, yes. All is good, just like fresh fuel. The diesel is even good, going on 39 years old. We got rid of the old generator, so I'm gonna transport it home to US and burn it in my 580 Case. Don't use the oxygenated fuel at all. Also have my 1949 D4 Cat. The new off road diesel would ruin it. I normally use heating fuel in both machines, just add an Amsoil conditioner. Modern fuels are to be consumed within a year, even with the addition of Stabil, or similar products.
Did McAlpine resolve his motor mount?

Hi, yes. All is good, just like fresh fuel. The diesel is even good, going on 39 years old. We got rid of the old generator, so I'm gonna transport it home to US and burn it in my 580 Case. Don't use the oxygenated fuel at all. Also have my 1949 D4 Cat. The new off road diesel would ruin it. I normally use heating fuel in both machines, just add an Amsoil conditioner. Modern fuels are to be consumed within a year, even with the addition of Stabil, or similar products. Did McAlpine resolve his motor mount?
Yep, I think so. I went ahead and bought the cheaper ones for the longhshaft. I'm going to wait until weather is a bit more hospitable before switching the mounts out but don't expect any issues. Side-note: I really appreciate that OMC at least modified the design of the 20-35 so that mounts can be replaced without removing powerhead (vs. the 9.9 and 15).

Just restored a 79 35 longshaft. All mounts were destroyed. I replaced with used ones I had around. Seems they are all the same. Not sure the difference in price, but oil/gas gets on the upper ones and destroy the bond to the washers. The motor has a 25 hp cover, the guy wants to go on restricted lakes.

Screenshot_20230809-235108_compress18.jpg
Base/clear urethane epoxy. Original decals. New skeg/prop. 129/121 compression. Sold for $2,200. They hold their value for sure.
Helluva lot better looking than the NEW outboards, eh?

Ha, great water here. Just have to hold out for the right guy, I guess. Seems everything is a better deal in WI. We get our Hamms beer for 13 bucks a 30 pack. Thats only $2.80 a gallon. NEVER EVER thought I'd see the day where GOOD BEER is cheaper than gasoline. This world is a real mess!

Back