Logo

Upgraded 5.0L to 5.7L Vortec head eng - Bad oil burn/smoking problem - not usual suspects

" This was the engine reman's latest response: "Blue smoke is fuel most think its black".

Got news for them, they are wrong..... Period. If they believe this, then I would never trust them rebuild anything of mine if they don't know the basics.

Fuel (gas)= Black smoke
Diesel A: On a cold engine = bluish white B: On a warm engine = Black
Oil = bluish white smoke
Anti freeze = white smoke

And each smells entirely different.....

Looks like you are on your own with zero vendor support. We now know to keep away from them?

Are you going to have the heads redone the correct way and new head gaskets installed and torqued correctly? I think that will solve your problem once and for all. At least, that's what I would do. Won't be that much cash (unless valve guides are junk and need to be replaced)and is mostly time consuming. 1 day off and 1 day on.

.View attachment 2377
I would use seals, such as these Comp Cam pieces. About 20 bucks for the set of 16 at Jegs. If your guides are already cut, piece of cake to put on. If your guides aren't cut for PC seals, then others are available for factory replacements.

Last edited:
After running engine for 4 mins at 3000 RPM, it was allowed to run at idle for 4 mins, then rev'd.

Major blue clouds of oil burning smoke. If you pause video at 21secs, you can see smoke from both sides of exhaust ports from outdrive.

Microsoft Access 2010Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007Office Professional 2010

Both those "holes" on sides of outdrive connect to common exhaust port. Something from one hole or the other doesn't indicate a problem with any particular "side" of the engine.
Again, believe that engine needs the heads re-done, correctly this time.

Re: Upgraded 5.0L to 5.7L Vortec head eng - Bad oil burn/smoking problem - not usual suspects
How and where would oil be coming through the head and out of the matting surface between the head and block at the top of the cylinders? Are there oil passages in there? This is definitely oil and not fuel. No fuel smell or feel at all, purely oil.

There are actually two oil drain holes thru the head gasket, one at each lower corner of the head. The oil that lubricates the rocker arms comes up thru the pushrods. Oil is a funny thing, like most any fluid, will migrate along any ridge or seam. Where you see the fluid leaking from may not be anywhere near the actual leak and if oil seeps from one spot on the head gasket, it usually will show up on pretty much the entire length of the gasket / head. The presence of the oil is just where it has a spot to emerge. Problem with oil is it doesn't evaporate like water and tends to "build up", making a miniscule seeping problem look like massive leak..

Last edited:
My friends daughter vw jetta has the same problem we wll be installing new valve seat inserts.

I gotta say they are real scu--ags up there where you bought the motor.

Michigan motors would have fixed this for you they like there reputation.

Ok document everything, fix what you gotta fix keep the records and bad parts fix the motor and sue them.

Or your gonna be sitting at the puter and not on the water.

Pull the motor out, put in on a stand and get to work.

This is just f---ed !

Want to go on the water i'm going the first time this year, today come with me. Maybe we can snatch up a striper or 2.

I'm with all you folks. I've realized after exchanging a series of emails with these jokers this week that I am on my own. with this problem.

My plan (was) to go to the boat today for the first time since I took the videos last week and pull the heads to find out what's really is going on. BUT, it was too nice out and had some others wanting to go skiing so we took my other boat 79 Ski Nautique out all day to enjoy the day and a great running, not-smoking boat.

I am heading back to the SeaRay to do the head-pull tomorrow. I'll take pics/video and post what I find.

To show you how ridiculous these guys are, I'll post the back and forth email from this past week if you want a laugh or two.

They push their 7year warranty on their website and he's stated several times in the emails that they haven't had an engine returned for oil problems for over 10 years. (but he does say he's had a lot of engines returned all the time that turn out to be fuel issues and intake manifold installed incorrectly. (I'm quite sure what he doesn't want to admit is, he hasn't taken responsibility of a bad engine in over 10 years and blames everything else but his own work.) He holds his customers over a barrel by requiring them to send the engine back and if 'THEY' find it was an intake or fuel issue (as they always claim) then to get your engine back you will have to pay shipping and their time to look at it. Total ripoff artists, I tell ya!!!

Last edited:
Ok, don't bother with this post unless you want a laugh from how this reman shop guy goes back and forth between fuel problem and intake gasket problem, anything but his engine problem..... and how full o' chit everything he says is. I guess I really pissed him off at the end.

(this is an email thread, so gotta read from bottom up to make sense)

(Had to break into 2 posts for character limits of post - read all of this one before next post)

Jun 2, 2011 12:28:40 PM, usengine wrote:

The only way to know if you have a fuel or oil is to fix your intake manifold gasket. What I am telling you I have had engines returned for your same problem and its always the intake manifold fix that and let me know.
----- Original Message -----
To: usengine
Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2011 9:03:01 AM
Subject: Re: Re: Warranty Claim on Engine # 69889 Warranty # 81743

Good, it finally sounds like we are both convinced this engine does not have a fuel problem, agreed?

Your assumption that the intake gasket has a leak causing oil to be sucked into the intake cavity resulting in the blue smoke at idle is what I've thought all along. Engine vacuum is greatest at idle, so it would be sucked in at that point more than at higher RPM. This makes sense. My only problem with this theory is I tried the following vacuum test suggested by several of the mechanics I have involved in this project:

Test for intake gasket leak:
Remove PCV Valve and valve cover breather from both valve covers
Plug both valve cover holes appropriately with duct tape
Attach Vacuum gauge to dip stick tube
Run engine in same manner that produces the most blue smoke.
If there is vacuum reading on the gauge, there is a breach in the intake gasket causing oil/air to be sucked into intake cavity and into the cyls to be burned.
If no vacuum, then there is no intake gasket leak.

This test makes total sense. The only problem is there was no vacuum when I performed this test. There was pressure coming out of the dip stick tube. The pressure would be normal with a good operating engine that has no intake gasket leak.

Now, so when I remove the intake manifold this weekend and by the chance that I don't see any breach anywhere along the intake manifold gasket and there is no oil residue found in any of the mating surfaces of the head coming from the intake manifold, where do I go from there? What can be visually inspected as far as the valves are concerned? What other tests do you recommend to find where this oil burning issue is being caused?

JohnF

Jun 2, 2011 11:07:52 AM, usengine wrote:

Like I said it sounds like your intake manifold gasket was not installed correctly because you have a oil leak and oil consumption. When the intake gasket fails you get vacuum under the intake drawing in oil. At this time you will have to replace your intake gasket and run your engine to restart breakin. This is why it smoke at idle once you remove the intake manifold you will see oil in the cylinder head where your leak is.

Charlie

Sent: Wednesday, June 1, 2011 8:06:52 PM

Charlie,

Thank you for being patient with me on this. I've been quite frustrated with the problems I'm having let alone not having the use of this boat for over a full season so far since installing this engine.

To answer your questions in your last response:

"how much oil are you using that what counts."

In my first email dated July 26, 2010 (attached to this email thread below) I stated the following: "During the 3rd & 4th (most recent) fuel fillup, the oil consumption has been in the 3-5 hours per quart of oil."

What I also mentioned in the email on May 27, 2011 (also below), I determined that the clouds of blue oil smoke in the exhaust have been much more pronounced when the engine is idling or rev'd from idle after idling for several minutes You can see this in the videos that are link'd in the below May 27, 2011 email.. Most of the cruising I did during the 3rd & 4th fuel fillup from last year was at higher RPM when the oil was not being excessively burned, yet it still was an excessive amount to be lost.

Beginning this year I have only put 1.8 (one & eight/tenths) hours on the engine, but yet the engine has used more than 1 quart of oil. I attribute this higher rate of oil loss to the increased percentage of running of the engine at idle(more blue smoke), so I can determine what the oil burning problem is.

You also made the statement - "Blue smoke is fuel most think its black it is also but thats fuel not buring"

I also mentioned in an email below that I owned and operated an oil change service business for 11 years servicing tens of thousands of fleet & commercial vehs and I am pretty in tune with just about everything to do with motor oil. I have for the last 17 years been intimately involved in the new&used auto/truck dealership industry and have hundreds of dealerships as clients, so I am in a different one or multiple every day. I have run your statement by close to 35 (most were Ford & GM Certified Master mechanic) technicians and I could not find a single one that would agree with your statement above.

Here are various websites that also state what everyone else understands::
Blue smoke in exhaust is oil burning
Black smoke in exhaust is excess fuel/unburnt fuel

http://www.cartechhome.com/2008/02/blue-smoke-coming-out-of-exhaust-system.html
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2294204-Blue-smoke-after-sitting&p=24797619&viewfull=1
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_can_cause_blue_grey_smoke_from_the_exhaust
http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-44086.html
http://www.cartechhome.com/2008/05/black-smoke-coming-out-from-your.html
http://www.ask.com/questions-about/Black-Smoke-from-Exhaust

To reiterate, when this engine is billowing clouds of blue smoke, there is a strong odor of oil, not fuel. There has never been an odor of fuel anywhere - not in the smoke, not on the dipstick, not around the engine, anywhere.

Another statement you made: "Sounds like your intake manifold is installed wrong and now its pulling oil from under the intake"

From what facts do you logically make this statement? What leads you to believe that this must be the reason for the engine to be burning excessive oil and exhibit blue, oil smelling smoke in the exhaust? Does this also mean you have now changed your long standing position you actually still had in the beginning lines of your last email that, "I know your having a fuel problem we seen this before"

Because I also asked all those mechanics and many more on online forums that intimately know what the symptoms are of this particular engine and every single one tells me there is either bad cyl rings or there is an oil leak in the valve train area/leaking valve seal. Some of the other suggestions were improperly torqued head bolts, improperly magnafluxed/cracked cyl head or not true head or engine cyl surface or even incorrect/bad cyl head gasket used.

As I stated, the torque on each and every intake manifold bolt has been double and triple verified by 3 different verified torque wrenches by 3 diff people and has been at spec each time. This was done last year and again this year just last week on Wed when I made the videos of the blue smoke. The intake manifold gaskets & bolts were first installed following all proper installation procedures including the 3 step torque and bolt tightening pattern sequence.

Frankly, I am hesitant in going through all the work necessary to uninstall and ship this engine back to you if you are so adamantly opposed to even considering this problem is from your engine and not something outside of it.

Please advise.

John F

May 31, 2011 01:55:24 PM, usengine wrote:

All your info from Mike comes from me or John. Both John and I know your having a fuel problem we seen this before. So again how much oil are you using that what counts. If you don't want to check you can return your engine for repairs but if its fuel you have to pay. You will have to take all your parts off back to thew way you got it from us. Blue smoke is fuel most think its black it is also but thats fuel not buring. Let me know what you want to do. As for your oil down the entire length of the head gasket oil does not pass through your head gaskets you have a leak. Sounds like your intake manifold is installed wrong and now its pulling oil from under the intake. Thats why I put on your warranty tighten intake manifold 7 times. Please read your warranty again.

Charlie

Last edited:
This is continuation of email thread from above - these are the latest emails through June4th - read from bottom up)

Jun 2, 2011 06:43:58 PM, usengine wrote:
Just for the record blue smoke is almost anything that is burning including fuel. Again black fuel is unburnt fuel RAW FUEL. Next time you make up words I did not say we will be done with you got that I NEVER SAID BLUE SMOKE IS OIL you did and you say that because you don't know I do know.

Jun 2, 2011 06:37:36 PM, [email protected] wrote:
Installing it wrong a second time has happened but you can always send it in and if its not under warranty you have to pay freight and our cost. I have not had an engine smoke for 10 years that was from us maybe longer.

I seem to be having a very hard time with you just change the gasket then if you still have problems remove all the parts and we will pick it up. If your not a Mercury expert then you would not know to much fuel pressure will also cause your current problem. Please read your warranty.

Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2011 9:54:25 AM

So, if I take it apart, find nothing wrong with the intake gasket, put everything back together with the new intake gasket and find it still is blowing clouds of blue smoke just like before, where are we then?

Aren't you just going to say the intake gasket was installed wrong the 2nd time, too? Or does this mean you are going to go back saying it's a fuel problem when we both know blue smoke means oil and not fuel?

JohnF

Having read the entire e-mail thread, I believe it's time to "bite the bullet" and get her done, and on the water having fun.

After reading thier resonses to the e-mails, you'll never get a satisfactory resolution to your problem that doesn't cost you more than having it done locally, by a reputable shop. If you were closer, I would do the repairs for you for "cost of parts", if nothing else, to prove they were wrong.

PS: USEngine will never get a dime of my money, that's for sure. Thanks for the heads up to a company I surely don't want to deal with.

PSS: Just read thier "7 year warranty" and it aint that stellar. They supply parts only after 1 year, even if it is a manufacturing defect, unless you pony up for $100 / year premium for labor and shipping. They got all the bases covered in the wording.

Last edited:
Be glad you didn't come my motor overheated, the riser went, and the connecting hose melted and spewed hot water all over the motor. Was able to limp in, my wife went with myself and my 15 year old son. First time for her in 3-4 years on the boat.

Sigh i guess it will be another 4 years till she steps foot on the boat.

Nothing compared to your problems, but i started her in the morning, had her started all week long, and sure enough first time under load this year she overheated. Pulled the riser and all clogged up.

Well In my opinion I would do as they ask. Pull the intake VERY CAREFULLY and take a look see. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A CAMERA and take pictures.

If nothing is wrong replace the gaskets and try again and see what the result is.

If still OIL smoke then they have to hopefully agree.

As far as there unwillingness to agree to the smoke being oil or fuel, ever look at a outboard motor when the oil to fuel ration is to heavy on the oil?? There aint no black smoke it is all blue!! Best bug killer ever manufactured!!

If you were having a fuel issue as they seem so insistant on there would be fuel smell and fuel all over the place and YES there would be a ton of BLACK soot in the exhaust water, it would be UNMISTAKABLE!!!

SO be assured this is an OIL issue!!

One more thing, I was following a older pickup truck yesterday with dual exhaust. the drivers side was spewing blue smoke all the time........Guy definatly had a bad cyclinder/ring issue........Now if it was fuel it would have been comming out of both exhausts now wouldn't it??? Your issue here for proof of oil vs fuel and they know it, is, both exhausts combine and you can not difinitivly say if it is right or left bank even if it may be both.

Do as they suggest, a half day of labor and $10 or so in gaskets.........what to next I can not say but if you would like I am sure one of us will gladly email these morons and speak directly to this issue.

For your info, I was merc/omc certified for 5 years proffesionaly and then did repairs on my own out of my house for another 15 or so years. I went back into industry during that 15 years for better money and bennies and did the service work on the side, now I do not do much service work anymore. only for a few friends and myself and of course my opinion here and here only.

Back