Logo

Update on the Code 48 from last week.....I hope this doesn't go south

jdepdawg

Ok - update.....I took the boat down to a reputable Honda shop because I was stumped on fixing this and they have the equipment and tools to make it right,.,.. I explained the history of the boat concerning the overheat issue in 2015 that was fixed by cleaning and replacing t-stats and told them that I was getting code 48. I asked them to go ahead and do an annual service, replace the impeller, fuel filters and all that goes with an annual service. I figured since they had the boat out of the water and on their trailer, I should knock everything out for the season. Here is where it goes south..............

They called and said all work was done, that the computer showed a history of an over heat, I explained that to them that it happened in 2015 and solved issue, then they said the computer showed a history of an 02 fault. Then they took the boat out for a test ride on the water, they said it did an overheat warning but not an o2 warning. They then stated that they needed to wait for the most recent Honda upload on the computer and they would put it back on the computer and check it

Today, they said they put the motor on the computer, it's now showing OVERHEAT and not o2 sensor. He said it is intermittent an 02 sensor but not constant. Then they stated that they have an IR temp gun on the motor and it's not overheating at all, just throwing the code.............

He said they've been on the phone for over 2 hours with Honda trying to figure out different things to check. He stated he personally believes it will be an ECU fault and I'll need to replace it, but for now, he said they are waiting for additional information from Honda to determine the best way to go, Honda has not stated it was an ECU, but are troubleshooting with the maintenance folks.

The the motor was put in service May 2011 so it's out of warranty, it has 180 hours on it....not abused, but I think I am fixing to have to write a big check.......anybody got any experience with this??

Mike AKA Hondadude - this is a reputable Honda dealer, I would presume they may be able to get Honda to make a good will gesture if it turns out to be that....but ya never know.......any thoughts?

The dealer can ask but any consideration is ultimately up to Honda. It they do, it may be a scenario of you pay for labor, Honda covers parts. Keep in mind, you are a year out of warranty.

Mike

They get there through a process of elimination.

For example....

Is it overheating? All temperatures good, but there is still an alarm. Why?

Faulty sensors? Maybe.

Faulty wiring? Insulation melted against the Maybe

Bad connections? Maybe

If sensors are sending proper info and the paths to the ecu are good and there are no other issues that could cause the problem.....the only logical reason for the problem is that the ecu is getting good info but reacts to it in ways that it should not. The alarms come from the ecu....unless there is a ghost in your engine.

Hope this makes some sense.

Mike

IDK would it be worth it to gamble on a used computer or just go with a new computer? What kind of warranty will the new one come with. New will take a big bite out of your ass. Too bad you did not catch it a year earlier. I would probably just get a used one and if you get the same code odds are you have two good computers and you problem is elsewhere. I dont much trust dealers especially for high dollar items put a mark on the old computer so you know for sure they actually replaced it and didnt just wipe it clean. Always ask them to show you the part they pulled out if they cannot produce it go into the showroom and start raising your voice they will have to make it right.

I paid for the service yesterday - they said it was in fact just the 02 sensor........but i haven't run the boat myself - they ran it for an hour - no overheat, just the o2 alarm.....so service is completed, new impeller kit, new plugs, oil, fluids, and 1000 out of the pocket - i cant bitch...i didnt have to do the work.....

I know up here in Tampa, Honda outboards are not super common. If you know someone with a same year motor, you could try swapping ecus. It is an easy thing to do, probably less then 15 min. The new 'puter is $1k. Easy diy swap out. Those $1000 oil changes were why I started doing it myself. Once you are familiar, all of your servicing can be done in 6 hours or less.

Back