Logo

Unidentified component in ignition circuit, and question about 12v wiring

Milkman00

Hi all:

New to being a boat "captain", a boat owner, and to this forum...

So my father gave me a boat. It is a Sportcraft V-hull boat with a 90HP 1985 Mariner engine on it. The people that owned it previous to my dad used it for fishing, and didn't really care about the aesthetics of the boat, just as long as it ran they were obviously happy. It is obvious by some of the "engineering" they did. :)

I am trying to make the boat right with wiring, gauges, lights, etc. That brings me to my questions.

1. One of the things that I had to do was wire an ignition switch. I understand electronics, and engines. This ignition switch had more than I expected. I basically expected a wire for "hot", start (to the solenoid), and choke (push to choke). It actually had 5 components on the ignition, and one of the was magneto. I know magnetos on small engines are basically their version of an alternator, but I didn't understand why that was a spot for it on the switch.
  2. Also, there was an unidentified component on one of the wires coming off the ignition. Anyone know what it is link to pics:

http://imageshack.us/a/img856/5967/qmc5.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img24/6523/thpu.jpg
    -
  3. Lastly, I need to run 12 volt circuits from the battery to various switch (lights, bilge pump, etc.) Do they make a "fuse block" for boats, or something like that where I can run all of the switches from that block instead of from the + terminal of the battery?

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

From everything that I read, the warning buzzer is for oil injection... Is that true?? Could it be for anything else??? I ask because this boat doesn't currently have an engine with oil injection.

Thoughts??? Again, this is an 85 Mariner 90 HP 6 cyl.

Thanks for the diagram... Hoping you can clarify some things.

1. I assume that the wire coming from the rectifier goes to the tach. What range should the tach be for this engine?
  2. Why are there so many wires that go to the starter solenoid?? I realize that there will only be one or the other, just not sure what all of the wires do.
  3. Looks like the tan wire comes from a water temp switch which I assume would turn the buzzer on. I also assume that a way that I can test that buzzer is to apply 12v to it, right??? How can I test the water temp switch itself???
  4. Any clue what the black/yellow wire does in this config???
  5. My ignition has a wire point for a "Magneto", yet I don't see any in this diagram. What is the story with that?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back