Logo

Two 27 hp Yanmar engines both stopped working at same time - need help

OGHomefry

My father purchased and sailed a 40 catamaran (2005 Fortuna Island Spirit) up to Maine from St Lucia. On his way both the engines stopped working at the the same time. Since then, he has unfortunately passed away. I now have his boat and have no idea what the issue is. I admit, I dont have much mechanical knowledge. Any help/advice is much appreciated!

Best,
Zach

sorry to hear about your dad...

if the is only a single fuel tank, I'd agree with Racer....

How difficult - hard to say given no additional details are available...I'd suggest starting with the local mechanic where the boat is currently moored.

Diesel fuel isn’t much different from jet fuel, glorified kerosene. We used to be required to add an anti bacterial, (trade name Prist) to our jet fuel. Those “oily” type fuels will grow anaerobic bacteria, they live off the paraffins in the fuel, creating a black sludge.
if the boat sat for some time in a tropical climate, that, & water contamination are suspect.
its not enough to just replace a filter or water separator, if the tank is fouled, more contaminants will just result in repeating the problem.
For an offshore boat, I’d have a qualified marine shop go through the fuel system from stem to stern.
Draw a fuel sample & have it checked/tested. You can also get a water indicating paste. We would smear some on the end of a dipstick, push it to the bottom of the bizjet tanks. It would instantly show the presence of water.

Start at the beginning
1battery switch
2 does it turn over
3 fuel shut offs & valves
4mechanical shut off
5 check Racor anti siphon
Manual fuel pump. Primer lift pump
Bleed air out crack injectors one at a time

These checks can be done in an hour or so
Maybe $100
If it turns over it is getting fuel it should start

Start at the beginning