Logo

Twin 2017 BF150's, one is dying.

grandmaester

Both motors have around 400 hours. Recently purchased boat a few months ago. Had this issue occur on second outing where port motor throttled down while on plane. Continuous buzzer, oil indicator light on (green), overheat indicator light on (red), no blinking. Had dealer do full service (water pump, thermostats, oil changes, etc). Had issue occur once afterwards briefly then went away.

Fast forward to today, after launching boat and idling motors for a bit, alarm comes back on. Motors are for sure not overheating, temps are around 120 according to HDS9. Now it will not run longer than 45 seconds without buzzer coming on, then shortly shuts off afterwards.

Given that I recently had everything done, would I be correct to assume one of the ECT sensors is bad? Service manual flow chart seems to say so, but would bad o2 sensor also cause the same issue?

Big trip planned in a couple days, hoping I can fix this tomorrow and not have the dealer do it...

Edit: I should also mention I ran it at home and disconnected the 02 sensor. Motor died after 15 seconds, not 45.

Last edited:
DrH will not always tell you of a bad ECT sensor. Best thing is to get a new one ,and change them one at a time until you hit the bad one. You don,t have to screw then in ,just plug them , and retry the motor.

If you run live data and read it when the fault occurs you can pin point the problem. DrH is not just for reading faults, it is a very useful diagnostic tool if used properly.

Will the drh monitor my 2005 bf150 a5? If so, are there annual releases of the software that would run on a PC and provide the drh graphics? In other words would a drh version from the past few years also include coverage for my 2005 Honda bf150?

Back