Logo

Twin 2007 DF150 Commander/Faris Speedometer/depth and 2 Tachometers failed at same time

HWS1

My 26' Glacier Bay is now in the water; however, it was sitting for 3 years and I did significant work on the fuel system, hydraulic steering and shifter over the last 6 months. I went for test drive with 240 gallons of gas and topped out at 37 mph, which is good. Problem - I looked down my Commander Tachometers and Speed/Sonar gauges were completely dead.

The tachs worked before high speed test but I am not sure about the Speed/Sonar. I checked for voltage on the 4 and 6 wire connectors an all was good but I do not have Hz on my multi meter. Cycled through several multi meter tests for key switch and gauge and pushed gauge buttons multiple times. Eventually, I Got one tach to display two LED character but no response to buttons. And the other tack had a partial outline of one character; however, I pushed several buttons and the LED overloaded with every LED pixel on. Speedometer voltage was good but gauge still not working.

Through plugging/unplugging harnesses, checking wires and restarting engine, one tach miraculously went back to normal operations. Plugged both engines into the good tach and there are readings from both engines and no readings on the bad tach. Speedometer still dead. I recently installed 2 new batteries, cleaned large fuse housings, battery selector switch and connections. It was a good move as at my GPS and Autopilot I Typically would get around 11.7v to 12.1v (engine off) and 13.7 v (engine on). With cleaning and new batteries it is now 13.5v to 14.2v respectively.

Anyone know of Faria instrument resets, tests or fuses that might bring the remaining gauge back to life before I ship it off to Faria for repair. I am guessing that it might be a power surge during my 37 mph test with battery selector set to both batteries..

Back