Logo

Troubleshooting '84 Evinrude 60 intermittent low power

calderp

Could use some help troubleshooting my two-stroke, I'm not too familiar with these motors.

'84 Evinrude that I just bought. Ran great with excellent compression when I bought it, then it sat for 5 weeks.
Now it runs really well at startup with lots of power and then will suddenly die down to just above an idle and then jump back and forth from running really well to running at idle with very little power. It still runs pretty smooth when it loses power, not a rough idle.

New water pump and in-line fuel filter.
Battery is good. There's about .5 V voltage drop to the igniters.

There is some fuel spitting out of the intake on both cylinders so reed valves are probably an issue. Would a reed valve that's intermittently sticking cause this loss of power? Could this be cleaned and unstuck, or would the problem be metal fatigue? I'm in the caribbean and might have a hard time getting parts.

Maybe a float is filling with gas and flooding the carb? I'm not really noticing a misfire though and there are two carbs so it seems more likely to be a fuel pump issue? Would a pump cause intermittent loss of power like this?

Could an intermittent bad connection cause the spark to go cold and only partially fire? It seems like this would be more of a misfire than a drop to idle.

I think my next step is to pull the carbs and get a look at the reed valves. Do I need to pull more than the carbs to visually inspect them?

Thanks.

Reed valves are very reliable and do not cause these issues !------------Hook up a timing light and see which cylinder is loosing spark.

Try a cylinder drop test,pulling one spark plug at a time to find cylinder with issue, Use plastic pliers! Check fuel pressure with gauge if available, engine sat for 5 weeks,inspect carb fuel bowl for water and/or gunk. What are the spark plugs telling you,lean, rich running? Is the inside of fuel tank clean? Are fuel lines clear and or pinched,collapsing? To check fuel pump operation,try pumping primer bulb while shes running,have an asst. help

Back