Logo

Trim

"thanks for the reply graham i

"thanks for the reply graham i dont see any fluid anywhere looked all over. It is low on fluid i think, i have not had a chance to put some in yet to see. Where would that o-ring be? I bought this boat on July 4th Got it running dirty carbs not pumping water got all that fixed . Now i need to change the gear oil . Dont want to F anything up you know. The boat has been sitting for 4 years . I ask the boat doc to check the gear oil he said it look fine brandnew, Dont know bout that what you think? The guys recommended by alot of people"

"Best guess depends on year an

"Best guess depends on year and horsepower.

1974-1991
bleed down is almost always the valve body. Sometimes water gets in system and causes rust on bypass valve. otherwise chrysler, Force, and USMarine rams last 30 years or more. Smart move is to have entire pump serviced. New seals on motor and rebuild/replace valve body. Motor lasts forever if you keep water out. Bleed down is red flag for old & leaky motor seals too.

1991-1998
check color of fluid. If red then you are a victim of mercury corner cutting. Mercury ATF (red stuff) contains additives that eat system up from inside out. The exact same rams that lasted 30 years for chrysler only last 13-15 for Mercury. Only smart choice is entire system overhaul. Otherwise you risk repeating failure. If fluid is tan then ignore above. If tan with round valve body then same as 1974-1989. If tan with square valve body (manifold) then system needs to be diagnosed and tested. Probably debris, maybe rust. But if you don't figure out why or where from then problem comes back."

Help please I just joined and

Help please I just joined and here is my situation: Just purchased a 1996 Bayliner Capri 19ft with a 120 horse FORCE with very low hrs and appears like new condition and very clean all around runs very strong -however when I attempted a launch yesterday I was trying to be cautious and I over trimmed the unit while entering the water and it locked in the uppermost position and froze there. I now cannot move it up or down it is frozen completely in the up position. The trim switch is dead it seams as when I push it nothing happens no sound nothing? Suggestions anyone? Thanks.

Since you have no power one of

Since you have no power one of your trim sending units is probably acting up. Pull them off and spray some WD-40 on the rotating nub and work it back and forth. Probably just a little rusty.

"hey richard i have the square

"hey richard i have the square valvebody the thing is weird, sometimes it leaks down fast, sometimes slow and sometimes not at all. dont know whats going on. But when it leaks down slow the ram pops. What kind of fluild do you use? 30w moter oil. i bought some stuff at wallyworld it is hydralic fluid is that the wrong fluild? Got my manual sat. and said to use 30w"

"jason,

They didn't sta

"jason,

They didn't start selling pumps with square base until 1990's. That means your bleed down is a pre-mature failure. Pre-mature failure usually means that your fluid had cleaning additives. Mercury factory used cheap ATF in a lot of systems. It lived longer than warranty but only half as long as if they had spent the extra dime on good fluid. I think that is your problem. If so, then only sure solution is complete overhaul of both pumps and rams. You have to do it all at once to clear out all debris."

Thanks for the advice folks -

Thanks for the advice folks - it turns out I had a loose connection at my down relay- your comments have been very helpful. I now have a better understanding of how my trim function operates.
Regards!

relays usually next to starter

relays usually next to starter to keep cable short or sometimes mounted onto same bracket as trim motor to keep wiring simple. on yours I would guess near the starter

Back