Logo

Trim Gauge Install on 2008 F90 TLR ?

baba

Trim Gauge Install on 2008 F90 TLR ?

Can I get some advice on what brand trim gauge and how to wire it ? Does my year motor have a pigtail already in under the cowling ? Does it even have a sensor?

1985 Arima SeaChaser 17'

Hoping to find a simple solution, its not super high on my need to do list, but would be nice.

Yamaha brand or a Yamaha compatible non Yamaha brand.

Will be plug and play with the Yamaha brand. If you have a Yamaha control box, Yamaha tachometer and Yamaha key switch.

2.png

Yamaha brand or a Yamaha compatible non Yamaha brand.

Will be plug and play with the Yamaha brand. If you have a Yamaha control box, Yamaha tachometer and Yamaha key switch.

View attachment 30938
So, my model year has a trim sensor already installed?

Your diagram It looks like 3 wires. Is there a wire or harness or plug I need to look for under the cowling ? Where is the pink wire ? What does plug it look like ? Do I need to use all three wires from the plug/harness ? or can I just jump the one wire (pink) from the motor to the gauge? and can I use a separate hot and negative from forward to the gauge?

I see two brands: (Sierra has better reviews, only a costs more.)

Faria:

and Sierra:

You can also get trim information to an NMEA 2000 display. But not to it and an analog gauge at the same time.

There are two single pink wires at the front of the motor that will need to be connected to one another.

Yes, a 2008 F90TLR will have a trim sender.

The four pin connector is ivory colored. Has a cap on it. The pink wire is from the sender. You only need the pink wire if all you want is for a trim gauge to work. The other two wires are for the over temperature ground and the low oil pressure ground. For warning lights in a Yamaha tachometer.

Boscoe,

1. I found what style sensor I have. Its plugged into the system already, and i dont see an "extra" plug with yellow tape from the factory.

2. Im wondering if I can splice the pink wire, and run a jumper to the helm and put a Faria or Sierra analog gauge ?

3. If it works in my Nema backbone thru Yamaha Command cable, Ive never seen the info on my Garmin 1242, maybe I have to look harder this weekend.!?

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

You said " You can also get trim information to an NMEA 2000 display. But not to it and an analog gauge at the same time.", so, if I cant find the trim info thru the Nema, what would happen if tried to wire a jumper directly from the 2 wire harness and just spliced the pink wire to an analog Faria or Sierra gauge ? and found a hot and ground up front to wire the gauge?

Does my adjustment look right on the stop ? or if I don't see info, the trim sensor could be bad, but I wouldnt know until I look on the Nema MFD., or unless i did resistance testing,

I get RPM, fuel gph, but haven't seen other parameters like engine temp or water water temp or oil pressure

I m thinking, if you say I cant have analog and Nema at the same time, it would have to have not a 3way spice but a direct connection to the analog, cutting the signal to the NEMA, but, what is the other ( black) wire just a ground?

And more importantly, is there an internal function for the trim switch that sends a signal to the engine computer that the engine is tlted and main have something to do if theres engine oil in pan/crankcase ? Or is that only more modern motors ?

If I can see on my NEMA 2000 problem solved, if not, if I don'tsee any wires not connected, thus in my pics its plugged i assume... hope NEMA works...

Found this too:

The trim jumpers were not connected "from the factory"
because, as far as Yamaha is concerned,
they are only connected when used with the Yamaha "Premium" Command Link gauges/display,
(they are not connected when the "standard" aka "conventional" Yamaha gauge is used)

As for "anti-productive", you have to choose:
whether to have a "conventional" trim gauge - Yamaha or aftermarket
(with the jumpers not connected)
OR
a Command Link / non-Yamaha NMEA 2000 trim display
(with the pink jumpers connected)

you can not have the pink jumpers connected
AND still have a "conventional" trim gauge connected -
if you so do,
you will not get a correct reading on either...

and:
When the pink jumpers are joined,
a pin of the engine ECM is connected to the trim sender,
and the ECM then functions as a "trim gauge":
it transmit the % of trim, as a NMEA 2000 message,
via the engine's Command Link plug.
That message can be displayed on a Yamaha Command Link display,
and/or a NMEA 2000 capable plotter.

well, finally found an answer:

When the pink jumpers are joined,
a pin of the engine ECM is connected to the trim sender,
and the ECM then functions as a "trim gauge":
it transmit the % of trim, as a NMEA 2000 message,
via the engine's Command Link plug.
That message can be displayed on a Yamaha Command Link display,
and/or a NMEA 2000 capable plotter.

The trim jumpers were not connected "from the factory"
because, as far as Yamaha is concerned,
they are only connected when used with the Yamaha "Premium" Command Link gauges/display,
(they are not connected when the "standard" aka "conventional" Yamaha gauge is used)

As for "anti-productive", you have to choose:
whether to have a "conventional" trim gauge - Yamaha or aftermarket
(with the jumpers not connected)
OR
a Command Link / non-Yamaha NMEA 2000 trim display
(with the pink jumpers connected)

you can not have the pink jumpers connected
AND still have a "conventional" trim gauge connected -
if you so do,
you will not get a correct reading on either...

I have NEMA 2000 installed and running, thats why the pink wire is already connected, (for what its worth, my plug is double, has pink and black, not just a pink), Im told that I cant have analog and Nema at the same time, and I havent lookhard enough to see if my Trim gauge is working on the MFD 1242 Garmin. Ill try it tomorrow and hope it works.

Sorry for multiple posts, I dont think this forum has a way to edit/delete and update previous posts..

(Just wondering, but doubt it, since NEMA is supposed to work for the trim switch, if the engine is tilted trimmed up all the way, ie is there something warning there's less/no engine oil in pan/crankcase ? or Maybe just newer or other motors ?)

Update:

Got it fixed, after 3 days of fiddling with a hook tool with the penetrating oil sprays,
but the key was on the 3rd day, by just making a stiff wire into a loop tool, to jiggle it back and forth fast enough many times to get the spring to come back to life....Chris's advice saved me, it's works perfectly!!

i just had to move the cam stop about 1/8" down to get the down to be perfect (I made full down =5%) .

So for now going to use the NEMA 2000 , Yamaha Command cable, and the garmin 1242, even was able to make it show % trim on my bar on the right.

thanks for the help, I may keep the sender when I get it just in case it goes out for good someday,

I'll try vinegar too, I wonder what busts rust on the spring better ? Penetrating oil, WD40, or vinegar? I was spraying with WD40 and electrical cleaner spray and got it free up

Back