Logo

Trim button issue

Helplessone

The "UP" trim button on the control does not activate the trim to make the engine come up. the "Down" button works fine. What do I do to resolve the issue.

Thanks

Does Engine have trim button?? Does it work?? If yes bad switch on trim on control u can confirm this by switching the wires on the switch so that trim down brings engine up if works that's your confirmation
I'm assuming all the wires are in good shape connected and corrosion free, volt meter may be the best way but if u don't have one or kno what to check for go with diagnostics above
If no trim on engine test will work the same

if its a evinrude or a johnson these wire will be soldered to a very small switch in the control arm.....be very careful when removing the switch and replacing it as in some vintage controls the mounting is plastic and is easily breakable...there is no way to fix it without replacing a hard to find part...instead of unsoldering and switching wires i would just jumper with a meter lead or something to determine if the switch is bad..here again that switch is hard to find....they want to sell you the whole cable assy for 120 bucks or so...you could also swap the relays if its a two relay system...its recommended that you replace both relays if one is bad..

Back