Logo

Transporting 4 stroke on its side

simonellis

Hi I have a BF6O I am transporting for repair. Can I transport it on its side with the oil still in the crankcase or should it be removed.

Many thanks.

My advice to anyone shipping an outboard is to drain the oil and gas regardless of what the manual says. Also, tape a LARGE note to the engine cover saying:
CAUTION: OIL WAS DRAINED FOR SHIPPING. ADD OIL BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO START!

I have four Honda outboards ranging from 2 to 90 hp. I have never found a way to transport the things other than upright unless you drain the oil, it always makes a huge mess.

I have four Honda outboards ranging from 2 to 90 hp. I have never found a way to transport the things other than upright unless you drain the oil, it always makes a huge mess.
Not sure why draining your oil makes a mess. On my 40 HP and my 50 HP Hondas the cover you remove sticks into the recess under the drain plug and functions as a funnel draining the oil nicely into a catch can.

I think he meant it makes a big mess if you lay it on its side without draining the oil...
Now that I reread it, you are 100% correct. I hauled a 40HP yesterday for about an hour laying on it side with the dipstick side down as per my manuals instruction. I had no leakage at all. The dipstick does fit tight. I could see a leak issue if the rubber top on the dipstick was worn or soft from age. Maybe I got lucky, but I'll take it.

I hauled a Honda 9.9 on it’s side for 200km. with no issues. When I hauled it 1000km I drained the oil, didn’t want to push my luck.

Last time I hauled a motor on its side, was up an old washboard road. It was on the bottom of a skiff. Motor wore a hole in the bottom of the boat.

Back