Logo

Transmission oil level

bob_on_this

Regular Contributor
"Since this is a "new to m

"Since this is a "new to me" boat, and I've had the engines and transmissions rebuilt, I have never pulled a service on these units.

I have:
GM small block Crusader
Velvet 1:1 Trans
Remote mounted Walter V Drive.

The Crusader as the small single oil cooler mounted on the circulation pump bolts. The cooler is mostly higher that the trans.

So.... How much oil should I put into the trans so that when the cooler and lines fill up, the trans wont be low.
I have read that the level should be "read" ASAP after shut down to eliminate the flow back amount.

My real concern is with my break in run. The engine builder wants to start and run the engine up to about 2000 RPM and leave it there for 1/2 hour or more. Not sure how happy he will be to stop after a few minutes to check, but maybe!
I would really like to get a "warm fuzzy feeling" about the oil level before we run it that long.

Do you guys, with this same set up, have a feeling for your pre-start oil level in the trans? Do you find the oil up a 1/4" or so above the full level prior to start up? or more?

Hope this all make sense.
Maybe making this harder than it should ne :)"

"Bob:

I remarked my gears&#

"Bob:

I remarked my gears' dipsticks so I can read them cold. You may want to consider this after you get things back together.

If you add fluid to get it to the full line and then add an amount approxiamately the volume of the cooler and the lines, you should be in great shape. You can probably get away with just filling to the full line. You won't have any load on the gear so it shouldn't mind being down a bit on fluid. If you overfill it, that's worse as it will come out the vent and it will get aerated.

When mine were rebuilt, we had to stop and restart on both. one had a hose clamp come off and the other had the horn circuit going off. neither engine suffered any."

"Al, Not sure I understand you

"Al, Not sure I understand you question.
There is a double U joint at the trans output with a short (18") input shaft to the V drive.
The output of the V drive couples up to the prop shaft.

url]
"

Back