Logo

Torque numbers???

scott_duerring

Regular Contributor
My knowledge with torque wrenches is pretty basic, used to "ft-lbs." I have a basic torque wrench... it has a pointer that will point to the corresponding number... so, my manual calls for tightening the plenum retaining bolts to 14 Nim (with a little " over the i) (124 lb.in.) What does that mean. There is no way it is calling for 124 ft-lbs, I would snap them off. I ended torquing them all equally to @ 20 ft lbs... seemed tight, they still would turn but worried more pressure would break them.
What do these numbers mean?

Look out with that tool--the most destructive tool in a mechanic's tool box!

Use common sense and tighten the bolts until they are nice and snug, then add a flat of two. (Note: Most blts are 6 sided--6 flats.)

Jeff

The "N-m" that you see stands for Newton Metre in the International System of Units (abbreviated "IS"). 1 N-m equates to 0.7375682 foot pounds.
1 foot pound is 1.3558 N-m. Do your own calculations.

more generally, torque is a twisting force that has units of Force * Distance. Force is usually expressed as Pounds or Newtons, with Distance as Meters, Inches, or Feet. As noted above, conversions are straight forward between the various conventions. Just make sure the Number (value) and the Units used match the tool's display and you should be good to go.

You may also see the units 'interchanged' between different references. Since Torque is a product of two quantities, the end result is the same so xxx FT x LBS is the same as xxx LBS x FT.

(124 lb.in.) What does that mean. There is no way it is calling for 124 ft-lbs, I would snap them off.
I know it’s old, This shouldn’t even be a question. Just look at the units. It should be obvious that inches are not feet. Since there are 12” in a foot, simply divide inches by 12 to get feet.
In kthis case mental math gives 10 ft lbs, forget about the tiny remainder,your wrench isn’t that accurate.

Back