Logo

too much gas!

mtmrayz

While working on a problem with my engine dying while idling around slowly, I created or discovered another problem.

I was turning the engine over, switching my coil, to test if the one off my MGB would work. I had read that it would be one with an internal 3 ohm resistor.
after starting the engine and turning it off a number of times in a fairly short time, it wouldn't start at all. I pulled off the carb cover and tried again just to see if I had fuel. Well, I did. The gas was just pouring into the carb. My needle valve was stuck. I pulled off the top of the carb and eventually installed a new needle valve and gasket for the top of the carb. However, I ended up with a puddle of gasoline in my intake manifold. I can look down with the butterfly valve open and see it sloshing around.

I left the butterfly open for about five days and I still have a small puddle. Tonight, I tried to start it again after installing a new pertronix 3 ohm coil and it wont fire up. I imagine it is still flooded. I didn't have a helper to turn it over for me so I can make sure I am getting a spark.

Will that puddle make the engine act like it is flooded and cause it to not start? What can I do to get the gas to evaporate?

I thought I might blast some air from my compressor in there but fear I am just going to create more problems.

Could you pull the plugs and then crank it over a while? That should eventually pump the gas out thru the cylinders and out the plug holes. Be careful though, you'll probably want to put rags around the plug holes to soak up any fuel that is expelled.

Back