Logo

Tony O question about new 2002 Merc 75HP amp 90HP

J

JamesFegan

" Tony, I'm going to buy e

" Tony, I'm going to buy either a new 75hp or 90hp Merc 2 stroke outboard. All the specs in the manual are the same, weight, bore and stroke, gear ratio etc. How do they make the 15hp power difference? Is in in different carbs or just jetting or more? The reason I'm asking is if its something not major I'll save money by buying the 75hp if I can in the future just jet the carbs or install larger ones if I want the boost in horsepower in the future.Any information would be great!!

Thanks, Jim "

" Jim,

I don't have any

" Jim,

I don't have any information on the new models, but I can tell you that it usually costs more to make the necessary changes to change a 75hp to a 90hp, than the difference in the new prices. I think this is true for almost all engines.

Generally, the differences lie in things like exhaust back pressure, carb bore, intake manifolds. I noticed that in previous years both of these engines used the same carb jets, so its not as simple as changing the main jet.

Tony "

" the upgrade that you are tal

" the upgrade that you are talking about is not really an option, but if your just trying to save a bit of money the difference between the two motors is very hard to notice, 15hp at 5500rpm, but low down horse power is very much the same. If you tried the two different motors on the same boat you would find it hard to even notice the differance. Also both motors idle quite badly but the 75 idles much worse. "

Back