Logo

TLDI 50B tiller hour meter

StevenM

Hi people

want to fit a hour meter to a tiller 50B

what wire under the cowl do I need to pick up for the signal / positive wire.

Is it the white with yellow dot?

You want switched 12v power. The hour meter is merely a clock; it doesn't read a "signal", but rather gets "turned on" when the motor is running. The full schematic is in the Factory service manual, of course. Getting the correct Factory service manual depends on your precise model (MD50B or B2).

You do realize that the ECU stores that information already, so you can get the hours (and other data) from the LEDs on the motor, assuming you have a tachometer (which would be powered by that same switched 12v). OTOH, if you just want an at-a-glance hour meter, connect to the switched 12v (on when the motor is on, off when the motor is off).

Hi Paul

it is a new 50B2

i have a tiller and no other telemetry besides the 3 LEDs on the handle

i want a at a glance hour meter for servicing requirements

I understand that it is just a 12 volt supply and negative to run the hour meter.

I wish to know which wire I can use under the cowl to get that signal. There is a heap do unused and capped wires which I would assume would normally drive any gauges if a forward control. There is a few on the lower head under the DI oil filter? And a heap up top near the fusing

I do not have a service manual or wiring diagram

is there also a way to read hours from the multi function tiller handle LED's. This would be cool to know as I can then get my hour meter to read the same number

thanks in advance

Steven,

I'm not in the office this week, and would want to refer to my Factory service manual to confirm the specific wire. If memory serves, it will be red. Yes, you can use the 3 LED's in combination with a tachometer to read hours from the ECU. Without a tach, you are out of luck.

Hi Paul

thanks for your input

I found a type of schematic of the tiller handle wires and maybe the red return from the key is an option.

If you do find an actual please advise

Yes, the return from the key is fine. Keep in mind that if you leave the key ON, the hour meter will be running, even if the motor is not (that is how I have my hour meter rigged on the 9.8 on my sailboat).

Back