Logo

Timing tape

scott_duerring

Regular Contributor
My Crusader 8.2s lack any type

My Crusader 8.2s lack any type of timing marks on the harmonic balancers other than a single groove. In order to be able to reliably time them I want to install timing tape. Is the single groove the mark for 0 degrees?

Yes...I am using the tape in t

Yes...I am using the tape in two areas and I am SO surprised it has stayed in place now for 2 seasons. One to highlight the timing mark and the other to measure the rpm with the laser tachometer

"Scott:

It should be. best

"Scott:

It should be. best way is to use the timing light to verify the mark BEFORE you apply the tape.

Al will really be shocked when he finds out my "tapes" are going on 14 years, installed and still sticking tight."

"Hey Mark,

...14 YEARS ? I

"Hey Mark,

...14 YEARS ? I am impressed...I thought when I placed them on, within a few months at best, they would be gone...NICE"

"Still legible, too....with NO

"Still legible, too....with NO overcoating !!!

their longevity has impressed me.

Must have been the prep job giving the adhesive a good chance?"

"Funny thing with adhesives...

"Funny thing with adhesives....There was an accessory that the touring level motorcycle had and it was a plastic mirror that was held on by velcro on the underside of the tourpak lid ( after all, what self respecting biker does not want to have a properly groomed appearance after removing a helmet). The velco peel and stick adhesive was wetted with MEK just before you stuck it in place. Once dry, there was NO WAY to remove it without peeling the surface layer with it. IT was that good. I've seen it place for 20 years"

"Online you can get...........

"Online you can get...............

Mr. Gasket timing tape ..... sold on Amazon.com

334825.jpg
tape

"That's the one I got but

"That's the one I got but bought it locally.

With 20/20 hindsight, I would have just scribed the balancer - pretty accurate, too."

"Thanks for the info. I plan

"Thanks for the info. I plan to install one on my Kohler generator. The timing mark is not accessible while the engine is running because it is viewed through a hole in the bell housing on the back side of the generator.

Thanks again,

Chuck Hanson"

"Chuck:

Those tapes are &#3

"Chuck:

Those tapes are "sized" by the diammeter of the balancer to be installed upon. If your generator's balancer is under 7", you may not have any luck finding one. In that case, you'll most like have to resort to scribing the balancer. The only 'trick' is to make sure your are on the proper side of TDC."

"Thanks makomark. There are t

"Thanks makomark. There are two marks on the flywheel that can be viewed through the peep hole. Since it is on the back side of the generator, I have to use a mirror and flash light. One is pink and the other is white. They are about 10 degrees apart. Now that you mention it I will have to check which appears first. I believe the white is 10 degrees before the pink.

Chuck"

Back