Logo

Timing questionIndmar 57L

scubaman

I replaced a volvo penta engin

I replaced a volvo penta engine witha Indmar 5.7L engine. Nightmare experience with installer. Enough said. No other marine dealers nearby. My problem is I am worried about timing. The installer said it was timed. I look at the TDC number under the flywheel and the notch is near 50-60. Am I looking at the wrong guage? The owners manual said it should be set at 10. It is carburated. Maybe the factory set it there. I am afraid to try it. What do I look for? The gauge numbers area is scuffed pretty good probably from Installation Help!

"[b]"I look at the TDC num

""I look at the TDC number under the flywheel and the notch is near 50-60. "

Are you using a Timing Light,..??..??

Chevies are Usually timed with the Timng Marks on the Front of the motor......"

"The marks I read are on the l

"The marks I read are on the lower front of ther motor just below and behind the belts. The marks go in a semi-circle from 0-60. The notch tool sticks out just between 50-60. I read the manual and it states the timing should be set at 8 or 10 DTC. What would be the symptoms if ran as set? I jsut can't find anyone to help. If I got a auto mechanic with a timing light, would it show everything is okay? Thanks Bondo"

"If you're just Looking at

"If you're just Looking at this,.....
Without a Timing Light,......

What you're Seeing,...... Means Nothing......"

"Can I purchase a auto timing

"Can I purchase a auto timing light or does it have to be a marine motor type. My motor is a 5.7L Indmar engine, 315HP, 4BL Holley either 600 or 650 CFM. Thanks. I really appreciate all the help. I am disabled and the motor installer really took me to the cleaners and was in over his head but didn't know it. He is a marine dealer but now I know why there are a lot of boats in his lot, he can't fix them! I changed from a 190hp 5.0 to a 5.7L 315hp. I will change the props once the motor is running right. My old motor block cracked."

"A Timing Light, is a Timing L

"A Timing Light, is a Timing Light.........
No Difference, At All......"

"Be sure to use the Indmar tim

"Be sure to use the Indmar timing shunt when you set the timing on this motor, or you'll get the timing wrong. The shunt should have come with your motor when you bought it; it's a small plastic plug with a loop of wire, and an additional single wire coming out of it (you connect this to a 12V+ source while timing the running engine--forces the ignition into "base timing mode").

As for connecting the timing light (yes, automotive is fine), you want to connect it to the spark plug wire closest to the bow (front) of your boat on the port (left) side--that's the #1 cylinder on that motor.

Instructions for setting the timing should have been included with your engine; if not, they are available on the Indmar website (included in the owner's manuals)."

Back