Logo

Timer base won’t move with throttle

I have a 1996 Johnson 225hp ocean runner. It came on the project boat I bought. The engine didn’t have spark when I got it so I replaced the timerbase and stator which fixed that issue.

The timer base will not move with the throttle. I pulled the flywheel and stator and cleaned and lubed it. The throttle arm spring is perfect. The timerbase is from CDI. It is somewhat hard to move by hand let alone the spring

Timer base should move with a finger.---- Your little finger should move it with ease.----So something is wrong.----Revisit the installation.

Sometimes the plastic retainer bearing is too thick on the CDI parts ..poor quality control. When you tighten the retainer screws the tabs pull down on it causing binding. This is one of the reasons I stopped using CDI parts....

Yes, years ago they were very good....welcome to the new world of "let's make a buck"....."get it made in China". As Pappy touched on, it can be modified to work properly. As Racer stated it has to move with very little effort.

I knew that nylon ring was not the perfect size. It’s a shame bcuz I spent days trying to figure out what was the issue.
I pinpointed that the ring was indeed not the perfect size so I tried to file it down which didn’t help.

on a side note...
I took the boat out for the first time of the rebuild and the engine at WOT wouldn’t go a dime past 3000 rpms. I took the cowling off the next day and one of the plug wires was disconnected.

in my brain I thought ok well that’s why... it was only running on 5 cyl. Today I was messing around with it and started testing each cyl for spark and what do you know... port side has no spark. Long story short I’ve replaced the timer base, stator and now powerpak.

good news is the ignition system should be solid and extremely reliable for the next few years. Bad news is broke the wallet pretty good lol. $650 in parts

More good news, invested about $4,000-4,500 into this 26ft Aquasport project.
When it’s time to sell it I should make an extremely large profit!

Back