Logo

Tilt Up/Down not working. 2002 Mercury 150hp XR6 Saltwater Outboard serial#OT650242 MODEL #1150454AY

PapaHog

I am new to the forum as well as boating. I'm not a mechanic, but would like to work on my boat.

I believe what I have is a 2002 Mercury 150hp XR6 Saltwater Outboard serial#OT650242 MODEL #1150454AY

My boat was at a wet slip and for some reason it took on water, basically filled up 1/2 of the boat. I drained all the water out and
cleaned the battery connections. I got the engine to start and the tilt did work. But the Tilt Up/Down is not working now.
where do I start to look for the problem?

The boat has a bildge pump but it is not a automatic bildge pump, I'm going to look for a automatic bildge pump

My first guess is a blown fuse somewhere,and, did you forget to put in the bung?;) You wouldn't be the first :eek:

Where would the fuse be located? Near the battery, under the steering wheel or on the engine ?

Bung? You mean the plug in the back, yes I put the plug in

I hear clicking when I press the seperate 3 tilt buttons. No movement up or down just clicking. Does this pinpoint what the problem is?

I see several wires connected together but they don't look like fuses.

Test with multi meter for 12v+ at relays.
The clicking would indicate a solenoid/relay problem.Put a jumper wire direct to pump motor wires,if it operates,replace solenoids/relays.
As I'm not familiar with these motors number three on the wiring harness http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-outboard-parts/xr6/0g960500-thru-1b226999-usa/cdm-mounting ,but I would be curious as to why the boat filled with water.
It will also depend on if the boat has had an isolating fuse,I have two on mine,one at the battery isolating switch,40amp and one at the instrument electrics bus-bar,20 amp.But my engines are old so no fuses on the actual engine.

Test with multi meter for 12v+ at relays.
The clicking would indicate a solenoid/relay problem.Put a jumper wire direct to pump motor wires,if it operates,replace solenoids/relays.
As I'm not familiar with these motors number three on the wiring harness http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-outboard-parts/xr6/0g960500-thru-1b226999-usa/cdm-mounting ,but I would be curious as to why the boat filled with water.
It will also depend on if the boat has had an isolating fuse,I have two on mine,one at the battery isolating switch,40amp and one at the instrument electrics bus-bar,20 amp.But my engines are old so no fuses on the actual engine.

I get 24v before and after the 2 solenoids when pressing the tilt switch on the motor. I put 24v on the wires direct from the motor and no movement

Back