Logo

Tilt Trim goes down, but not up

boltf16

I have a 2001 Johnson 225 hp outboard. I went to the lake this weekend and the trim worked fine at home when I put in the transom saver, and again when I removed it at the ramp. Then on the water, the motor would only trim down, not up. I had a full charge when I started the day. I charged the battery and tested it and it read 13v. but nothing changed. The battery starts the motor normally, but it is about 3 years old. I swapped the solenoids and that didn't fix it. There are four switches and all respond the same - I hear a click when selecting up, but nothing else happens. Down operates normally. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

First thing is to check your fluid. It may just be low.
I and the opposite problem, would go up but not down, and that's what it was.

Thank you. I checked the fluid. When I opened the cap on the reservoir an ounce or two of fluid ran out. It was pretty black. I had it about halfway up so I then lifted it all the way up (which is what the manaual said) and added until a little ran out. I suspect the amount that ran out is what I replaced. No change, the motor won't tilt up. I also used jumper cables to connect the connection to the engine from another, new battery (new this spring). I disconnected it from my trolling motor series. Still nothing. Anything else I can try? I would take it to the shop but I was hoping to take the family out before fall and all the shops I called are booked up solid, so I am hoping it is something I can do myself.

When checking wires, remember green for grass, blue for sky. Green is for going down, blue is for going up. Does the motor run when you tilt down? Does the motor run when you try to tilt up? For a short term solution, you can hook a jumper wire from terminal 30 to terminal 87 where the relay plugs in and that will tell you if your motor and seals and everything mechanical is working correctly.

Okay, I replaced the wiring harness and that didn't fix it. For Oldsaltydog, the motor runs when I trim down, but nothing happens when I trim up. I tried testing the plug from the wiring harness that connects the trim motor to the wiring harness, but didn't get any voltage there with the old or new harness, so I suspect I am doing something wrong there.

Back