Logo

Tilt Motor Wiring One Solenoid

48tony

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys, I picked up a 1972 125 50th year anniversary Johnson. It came with an accessory package of a tilt motor and valve body. Although it was junk as the motor was burnt out on it and the valve body was unrepairable. So after shopping Arco API and other motors and came to find out that they no longer make the unit for this year. I went on E-bay to find a second hand unit. But the prices were worth more than the motor. I found this one site D&B Electrical that made aftermarket parts, starters, alternators, etc. etc. Come to find out they actually had the tilt motor and valve body that I needed for $130.00. They sent me the first one - I put it on to find it was a defective one. After doing the research on the wiring I have seen where there needs to be a solenoid incorporated between the up and down switch and the motor and battery. I pulled up several wiring schematics and I see that there is two different set ups. One is with one solenoid and the other is two solenoids. Mind you this is only a tilt unit for trailing purposes. I am unsure if I should go with the one or two solenoid hookup. I have yet to own an outboard motor with the tilt and trim. Even though this is just a tilt unit. Can I still use it in rivers? at slow speeds? to lift the motor around rocks, stumps and such, or is strictly just for trailing? Thanks, Tony

Back