Logo

Tiara 2900 engine access- 454 XLIs

Unfortunately my mechanic found zero compression on the number two cylinder on my starboard engine on my starboard crusader 454 xli on my 1997 Tiara 2900. However, he can't get get to the head to further diagnose the problem. The hydraulic lift engine hatch doesn't facilitate access. I thought I remember reading somewhere about guys either removing the hatch or tilting it all the way up for greater access. Any experience in this arena will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Being as your question is hull specific, you may wanna search this board or check over at the Tiara Owner's forum

Not sure how your boat is set up. I have the 33 Open.

I remove the two seat/storage boxes and move back off the engine room deck. Then I unbolt the forward hinge from the hatch, about 4 or 5 small nuts and bolts on this forward hinge, unbolt the actuator and lift the hatch off. Takes about 30 minutes.

The storage boxes have four bolts in each one in the bottom. One person has to use a phillips to hold that screw (inside bottom of box) while another person goes underneath and takes the nut off. I do it alone using a vise grips, but then I have to replace the collars the bolts sit in that protect the glass. These are the little metal ones and are easy to get at the boating store.

I am also on my third hydraulic actuator, finally went back to the Warner OEM version.

I lift it by myself, not actually lifting but sliding it back and then up to rest against the removed seat/boxes. I plan on removing it completely and setting it down on the grass upside down so I can replace the sound insulation, I will ask my neighbors to help me when doing this. I could not even guess how heavy it is, the problem is the size which makes it awkward.

Back