Logo

Throttle/Timing Advance 1960 40 HP Johnson Superseahorse

NeilD

Hello, I’m working on a 1960 40 hp Johnson super seahorse.
i’m trying to set the timing and throttle advance correctly. I checked it and the center of the wheel was about 3/8 of an inch before the mark on the bronze plate, when the throttlebody started to open. The mark on the bronze plate when the throttlebody started to open however was directly above something below it on the motor that looks a lot like a pointer. See photo below for what it looks like when the throttle just starts to open.

everything I’ve read about the proper setting of these linkages suggests that the center of the wheel must be directly on the mark on the bronze plate when the throttlebody begins to open. I tried to adjust the little plastic cam to accomplish that, and I could make the wheel closer but I could not get the Wheel to line up perfectly on the bronze plate mark when the throttle began to open, instead the wheel was always slightly ahead of the mark.

I have another 40 horse motor, the same year and nearly identical but it is an Evinrude lark, and when I bought it it was also set up the same way, the throttlebody opened before the wheel reached the mark.

Both of these were functioning motors when I bought them, which makes me wonder about what I’ve read. Maybe the mark is supposed to line up with the pointer when the throttle starts to open? Maybe the old timer mechanics knew something I don’t about setting these up so the throttle body opens slightly before the mark?
C3DEDC99-747D-4028-A787-F41EA662B420.jpeg
Advice and Suggestions welcome!

It is supposed to start opening when the mark is aligned with the POINTER. You appear to have already figured that out.

Back