Logo

Threads flywheel big twin 1965 40 hp

calle

Hi

Im gonna pull the flywheel of my big twin. Havn´t been able to loosen the nut first gonna get an impact wrench for that. Once its gone and while anyone knows what threads I need for the flywheel removing tool? I planned on getting a custom tool anyone with experience think thats gonna work?
flywheel removal tool.jpg

Or will a need the OMC special tool with 3 bolts to lock to the flywheel?

I got one tip, to use a crowbar and use the often (?) existing bearing play on the cranksshaft theese old engines to lift the flywheel and then knock gently with a soft hammer onto the nut to get the flywheel loose. Not so sure about it though - anyone tried that?

That is one of the most difficult flywheels to remove. A 3-bolt puller with Grade-8 hardened bolts is necessary. Some auto parts stores will rent or loan you one. Or sell you one.

I had one once that would not budge I got frustrated and had to walk away but left pressure on the puller. About five hours I heard a loud pop from the shop and the flywheel lifted right off. Be sure the bolts are in at least five threads and put enough pressure you feel the bolts may break put a little power steering fluid on the shaft and walk away.

My technique is put adequate pressure on the puller, then pry up on flywheel at opposite sides of ring gear. If I'm alone, I have an assortment of red oak or any hardwood wedge.....and tap them in across from each other. Then tap on shaft of the puller. If it doesn't pop, then I will apply a LITTLE heat to the flywheel area around the hub, about 1 1/2 inches from the crankshaft. With wedges in place and pressure on the puller......it WILL pop.

Maybe thats all he needed, but new threads are often better to get immediate attention. Use oil on all threads and grease where puller contacts crankshaft.

Maybe thats all he needed, but new threads are often better to get immediate attention. Use oil on all threads and grease where puller contacts crankshaft.
Yes, did the compression test with proper fitting. Both cylinders held 55 lbs. Got a get me a fuel tank so I can see if it'll stay running.gave all mine away years ago.No big deal. If it stays running ,I'll dig into the impeller and reseal the lower gear box.have a carb kit if needed also. Really appreciate all your advice and knowledge too. Bet lots of folks do too.

Back