Logo

Thoughts on aftermarket pistons??

bulletbob

Just wondering if anyone has used the cheap aftermarket piston kits that are found on ebay/amazon.. They are available .30 over at a reasonable price for several OMC outboards.. Personally I have had pretty good luck with most of the cheap outboard parts i have found online such as water and fuel pumps, engine gaskets etc.. same with auto parts,, No major reliability issues thus far, but I don't expect OEM quality for 1/5 the price.. If someone has used cheaper pistons and had a decent result I would like to hear about your experience... bob

Only use ProMarine,Vertex,WSM,Serria,Wiseco and RedRhino brands. Do NOT use the carbs kits off Amazon with the red gaskets as they are junk

Ok,, maybe someone can guide me to where I can actually order pistons in lets say .030 overbore.. Unless I am doing something wrong, no one seems to even make these anymore for OMC 2 strokes.. I see one or two sporadically listed on ebay, but nothing consistent.. Only ones I have found are made in taiwan.. Sierra lists many OMC pistons but not for 20-30 HP.. wiseco does not even list them.. I must be doing something wrong in my searches... any help would be appreciated... bob

Ok..thanks, saw them,, price is fair enough for OEM pistons w/ rings... Just to be sure, I have to pick and use one of the many model #'s Johnson has for this engine, since I have not had the model # tag for years on this engine.. It came off long ago, and is not on the freeze plug.. Its a 96, I do know that.. I have not had any issues with parts over the years, just using one of the many model #'s they listed for that year,every thing has always fit.. So I imagine a piston for a 96 30 HP 2 cyl w 3 inch bore, is the same across the board, would that be a fair assumption?... Its all I can do as I just don't know the model # and haven't for years..

You can use the following....

You can use the following....
outstanding, thanks for those links,, i searched ebay up and down and those WSM units never came up for me, and the price is right...your help is well appreciated!.. One last question, any benefit going .020 over as opposed to .030?... Both are available, same price.. Personally i feel .020 would leave a little more meat on the block, but I am no expert on 2 strokes..bob

Oversize adds minimal hp, .030 might get ya 2hp at WOT. HP is in the piston/port timing. Get Jason to get ya the pistons/gaskets when he bores it. He's a WSM dealer like myself.

Back