Logo

This engine is killing me

1982 35hp evinrude tiller hand start, with plugs removed reasonable pull start tension , with plugs in holy crap yanking my shoulders out of socket!
Compression test both cylinders above 90 with maybe 3/4 revolution as I cant get it past the top point as compression is insane.
Am I old or are these insane to pull? Just bought engine had lower unit removed as seller said it needed pump I changed water pump all went well gears all work just cant pull start this beast? any suggestions or Im reselling it and looking for electric start. engine looks clean and not beat at all I think there is solid engine here. Any help would be appreciated?

When I was 30, I could pick up and carry V4 with one helper. And rope start it too. Or load a 35hp electric into a customer's car trunk by myself. A few years ago I gave away a 10hp because I couldn't start it. Now I am 84 and a 3hp is about as big as I want to mess with. Your experience may differ.

UM.....Oh yeah, I had to have back surgery for a ruptured disk at age 30. Please be careful.

1982 35hp evinrude tiller hand start...with plugs in holy crap yanking my shoulders out of socket!
Am I old or are these insane to pull?
My 9.9 rope start takes a pretty good yank to pull so I imagine the larger displacement 35 takes a good bit more grunt. Try bracing one foot toward the transom, place both hands on the rope handle, pull gently until the bendix engages the flywheel, then yank with both arms.

Good point. They can be very difficult if not bolted down solid and low, like on a transom. Haul on the rope and follow through. Otherwise you have to hold it down and pull at the same time.

1982 35hp evinrude tiller hand start, with plugs removed reasonable pull start tension , with plugs in holy crap yanking my shoulders out of socket!
Compression test both cylinders above 90 with maybe 3/4 revolution as I cant get it past the top point as compression is insane.
Am I old or are these insane to pull? Just bought engine had lower unit removed as seller said it needed pump I changed water pump all went well gears all work just cant pull start this beast? any suggestions or Im reselling it and looking for electric start. engine looks clean and not beat at all I think there is solid engine here. Any help would be appreciated?
Convert to electric start.

Yes....the pull rope has to be below your line of pull. You can put on one of those loop handles...they are pretty sweet.
Gator, yes....been a few years to look back on, for sure. Hope you can continue. You have been a great mentor for me. Thanks.
Did you see that 100 year old gal dead lift 160 on her birthday? That's like one 1973 25 horsepower longshaft, electric start.....IN EACH HAND! She said that she started powerlifting at age 90. WOW!

Last edited:
Ok have been looking for parts motor found one for 500 has parts I need but I want to confirm I don’t have a major issue to repair first
Had a 1980 25hp a few years ago with an honest 130psi compression and it didn’t feel too bad to me,then bought a 40hp last year for project and screwed up my shoulder trying to start that one..Sold it promptly.

Last edited:
Shoulders are problematic with age. I have a hand operated tire machine, that's how I hurt my shoulders. I think that 35 is a real brute to pull, but I can still do it. Does your parts motor have all the stuff to convert to electric start? If not, call Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN. They can set you up with the whole kit for way less than $500. 218 682 2331. Shipped out in a couple days. What's your location?

Shoulders are problematic with age. I have a hand operated tire machine, that's how I hurt my shoulders. I think that 35 is a real brute to pull, but I can still do it. Does your parts motor have all the stuff to convert to electric start? If not, call Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN. They can set you up with the whole kit for way less than $500. 218 682 2331. Shipped out in a couple days. What's your location?

Really? Im in NJ , but have been looking for electric start kit cant seem to find one, not sure what I need some say change flywheel others say you dont need to. Cant be to hard a solenoid, starter bracket, push start some cable not even sure I would need to have a way to charge it.

Just sent Tim's an email, really appreciate your help it looks like the kind of place I wish we had in NJ.
Thanks again maybe its Not time to sell the boat after all!

Good, hope Mike or Dan can help. They always come through for me in my repair business and personal projects. I have a kit here, but just got an order for a 35 LS and the guy needs it remote control. Trying to get it ready by the weekend. Just finishing a 9.9 to 15 hp conversion and remote control with port side controls. That means a "single lever" control......not really useable on this generation 9.9/15's. It's been a real battle of fabrication and modification. Had to convert a choke butterfly 15 carb to a fuel injection primer, using a prime solenoid much smaller to fit in a tiny space. Control cable comes in through the old starter cord opening. Tim's was my supplier of many parts needed for the project. It's going on a restored vintage wooden speedboat with port side steering and cables.

Just sent Tim's an email, really appreciate your help it looks like the kind of place I wish we had in NJ.
Thanks again maybe its Not time to sell the boat after all!
Is the recoil assembled correctly? They have a strange helix on them that has to be timed or it could be a pain to pull.

Great point, Mr. Scott. Yes, the rope winds in such a way around the "helix", for lack of a better term.....(oval shaped spool)??, to give you a mechanical advantage upon compression points. If this is not "timed"....it can actually make matters worse.

Last edited:
Is the recoil assembled correctly? They have a strange helix on them that has to be timed or it could be a pain to pull.

Really, can you steer me to a diagram that I can reference? That would explain a lot Pull cord seems to work smooth with plugs removed but would like to investigate that.

Here you go. You make sure that the rope is CLOSEST to the spool center at stroke bottom and FARTHEST from spool center at top of stroke. Thanks, Mr. Scott.....good thinking. I forget this myself sometimes. I think there is marks on this spool in order to help you set it up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210811-223411.jpg
    Screenshot_20210811-223411.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 54
Here you go. You make sure that the rope is CLOSEST to the spool center at stroke bottom and FARTHEST from spool center at top of stroke. Thanks, Mr. Scott.....good thinking. I forget this myself sometimes. I think there is marks on this spool in order to help you set it up.

Thanks when I return from vacation I will dig deeper into recoil timing

I recently got a 1981 johnson 35hp (same motor) for $50 for a project to work on.
That was a mistake for me. It's doing the same thing. Plugs out and it pulls easy
but plugs in and it's too much for me. I'm going to be selling it soon and moving
on to another project.

Here you can even see it on the 3 hp Lightwin.

Attachments

• IMG_20210812_133239714_compress64.jpg
    IMG_20210812_133239714_compress64.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 48
Hate to hear this, my engine seems like its really clean and keeper but will never know if it runs cause I cant pull it! Hard to imagine they sold a motor like this Im not a weak guy but im going to dig deeper into recoil timing thing

Miracles do happen! Thought I would try to pull again even if I can only pull about 6-8" of cord out and the sucker sputtered and started! Amazing must have really hot ignition as it fired with such a short pull! Water pump pumps, gears shifts fine just smoked like hell burning the ton of oil I put in cylinders. Great forum here and thanks for you guys who responded to me . Talk again soon.

Back