Logo

Think my alternator is cooked?

I have an AQ125A with penta 270 outdrive. I think the alternator might be cooked. It has 3 posts being used. B+ B- and I assume its the field excite wire. With the key off, all 3 read full battery volts. Think my alternator is cooked?

My concern is he says he gets batt volts at all three wires one being the ground wire? I was also reading in my manual that if the diode shorts out internally the engine will run with the key off it will backfeed to the ignition. One quick test is fully charge the battery and start the motor after a bit at 2000 rpm check the voltage at the battery it should be 13.8-13.9 volts.
That is true with some systems and can be a common problem.... even with several of the V-8's.

Regarding the voltage readings that he's seeing, perhaps he's doing somethin wrong in his test procedure.

I still say have the alternator tested, and make that the starting point, and then work from there.
Use the tried and proven P of E.... (process of elimination)... one item and one item only at a time.
The P of E won't let you down when used systematically and methodically.

justboughtaboat, if you replace the alternator, a good inexpensive replacement would be the Marine Delco 10si in either the three wire or single wire.
With the single wire, the wires within the harness can be capped off. You need only the POS charging lead and the case-to-engine Negative lead connected.
These are self exciting and require a quick bump in RPM to excite them.
Once excited, they remain excited until the engine is shut down.
It's a non-issue for most of us.

Last edited:
I'll bet the B- wire became disconnected from ground while running.
How could it read +12VDC if still connected to ground ???

With a good working Paris Rhone, and B- disconnected.
B+ reads 12 VDC
B- reads around 9VDC and slowly drops down as the multimeter allows the regulator capacitors to charge up.
The field/resister wire also starts up around 5VDC and slowly drops down as the multimeter allows the regulator capacitor charge up.

[I keep a spare in my basement :)]

wow didn't think it had been that long since I was here last. Thanks for all the replies. Yeah I plan to get the alternator checked sometime this week. I bought the boat, with the new alternater already installed, but hooked up wrong. Wasn't charging. I hooked it up correctly and it charges, but draws down the battery in a couple of days. I haven't had a chance to mess with it this weekend. I will come back with an update once I dig a little deeper with a meter, and get the alt tested. Thanks again for all the replies.

o.k. Update. I had the alternator tested and it did charge. I figured it would, as it was charging on the boat. But now that I have had it tested, all seems to be well. haha I have no idea if I looked at the ole Fluke wrong, or... I don't know. I do like the idea of a one wire alternator though. So I'll be looking into that if something comes up again. For now I guess I will just leave it all alone, since it's now working. Keep an eye on it for future problems. Thank you for all your replies. I'll move on to the next little problem haha thanks again to all.

Back