Logo

thermostat help

i got a 89 evinrude 60(te60tlcea). when i got it it was in rough shape but comprrsdion is 123, 120, 124 in it. when going over motor the thermostat housing was empty except for large spring. so i got thermostat and put it in and ran it in a tank and it seemed new tstat was stuck closed, got another same thing. what temp should the engine get to woth working tstat? its a 143 degree tstat and with lazer thermometerthe block got zo 185 soni turned it off. runs great without tstat. one possible problem is im not installing it right. when i got new tstat i used the parts finder on this site for my motor but after looking at a few other sites my motor is not listed they start with 1990 mines 89. i used Sierra 18-1222 Thermostat Diaphragm Gasket and Sierra's 18-3500 Thermostat. also how does zhe large spring orient in tstat housing. also wanted to add that in the manual i have the drawing of tstat looks different but im sssuming because it covers various years
thanks

Does the tell tale fitting / hose come of the side of the block or the top ?----The 3 cylnder 60 HP is clearly listed on this site !!----Ignore the a at end of model #-----Install the factory water pump kit 0432955.----It comes with instructions to address cooling issues.

Last edited:
the tell tale comes out side of block at bottom. i plan to move it to top. i have that water pump kit ordered eill be here sat. about how hot should block be with everything working as it should?

Back