Logo

The Update I promised...

willow

Regular Contributor
Morning everyone.....

Well I promised photos but they are on my laptop which is on my boat. I am at home for 24 hours and will be back on the boat this evening...sorry no photos but I am sure you all know what a 350Cu In long block looks like:).

We had a colossal screwup in the installation of the replacement engine. Oh, the engine went in well, no problems placing it in the boat and hooking up all the gizmos....but.....

It seemed to run very well...very smooth but everytime we selected either forward or reverse the whole drive train shook......hmmmmm. It was decided the tranny should be removed and "rebuilt"....it was.

The engine still shook when placed in gear.

It was decided to replace the dampner...it was

It was decided to replace the V-Drive (I had a spare).

The engine still shook when placed in gear

It was decided to replace the propshaft coupler

The engine still shook when placed in gear

It was decided to "haul the boat" out of the water and check the prop for debris and the strut as well as alignment etc.

Any guesses yet ????

We were now up to about day 10 sitting at the dock wondering what we would do next.

I decided to fire up the engine and just let it run for awhile.....(getting desperate). As the engine was idling a mechanic went by in a small boat he was working on. He came back to my boat later and stated that me engine was "missing". I doubted that as it seemed to be just "purring" along....it certainly sounded fine, no back-fireing, no coughing etc

He pulled all the plug wires off one at a time and asked if he could check the compression in two particular cylinders..#5 and # 7.

We had zero compression in those two cylinders.

I called my mechanic and asked if he had infact done a valve set procedure on the engine.....he had forgotten.

He did a valve set,(took 40 minutes), we put it in gear and everything ran smoothly.

We had been running on 6 cylinders instead of 8 !!!!!!

The moral of the story........even though you are working with a trusted engineer, have gathered lots of good data from a forum, copied dialogue from forums and passed it on......be aware that humans can make mistakes and although you may think you are "pestering" the guy working on the boat.......get in there and pester...with a checklist.

PS..The mechanic who looks after my vehicles including my boats has agreed to a $2000.00 credit toward his labour charges for any future mechanical needs I may have either on the boat, or my cars :D

Have a nice summer....we are!!!

Wow Don,

I am sorry to hear that one....It is so much effort to deal with an issue that should have been routine. Of course, it a great feeling knowing that you have dealt with the problem but gee, what a "cost".

I had posted a comment to someone one only 2 days ago about how NO ONE insures the best work on your boat except you. How many times might a finger get pinched while tightening a bolt yet you go back in to make sure the torque is where you want it.

Hope the rest of the season is frothed with great news and fun....I think of you each tiime I look at my super clean flowing heat exchangers

Back