Logo

The Throttle on my outboard does not turn

spikecr

The throttle on my 10 hp Honda

The throttle on my 10 hp Honda does not turn. I tried removing the knob at the end of the throttle but it becomes quite tight. Is there something else I should be doing or do I force it to turn?

"No force. The knob on the end

"No force. The knob on the end is a friction set.You might try screwing it the other direction and see if it loosens.

Also they had a neutral throttle stop so you could not over rev in neutral. But some of the early models would jam up if put in gear with the throttle open. All this monkey motion takes place under the carb right near the place where the shift rod comes up from below. If yours shifts OK, then thats not it."

"Found the book- (and look

"Found the book- (and looked at mine) so a little correction- they would jam up in reverse.--

If you are still having problems, you may have to go after the innerds. These are for the dark blue and white models.

The cable (17910-881-000) may have unraveled on you. It is held in place in the handle with an anchor block, and clip- it goes into a di-cast slide with a big spiral groove. it is this that actually gets the cable moving. It is moved by a spiral bump inside the moving handle. If any of this has no grease, or not fitted right, you won't go any where. If the cable is not adjusted by the carb, you may have the spiral out of it's groove and jammed.

The rubber cover comes off with a skinny screwdriver and a shot of wd-40. Carefully poke the screwdriver between the rubber and metal then spray and twist- it will come right off. Under the metal moving handle is a round bolt head holding the piece on the tiller. Do not loose it. Nothing else works quite right. Spin the metal handle off and there is the rest of the machine that runs you throttle. Hope you don't need to get this far. Let me know.

9"

Re: "Found the book- (and look

"Found the book- (and looked at mine) so a little correction- they would jam up in reverse.--

If you are still having problems, you may have to go after the innerds. These are for the dark blue and white models.

The cable (17910-881-000) may have unraveled on you. It is held in place in the handle with an anchor block, and clip- it goes into a di-cast slide with a big spiral groove. it is this that actually gets the cable moving. It is moved by a spiral bump inside the moving handle. If any of this has no grease, or not fitted right, you won't go any where. If the cable is not adjusted by the carb, you may have the spiral out of it's groove and jammed.

The rubber cover comes off with a skinny screwdriver and a shot of wd-40. Carefully poke the screwdriver between the rubber and metal then spray and twist- it will come right off. Under the metal moving handle is a round bolt head holding the piece on the tiller. Do not loose it. Nothing else works quite right. Spin the metal handle off and there is the rest of the machine that runs you throttle. Hope you don't need to get this far. Let me know.

9"
I have, what I believe to be, a 1997 8HP BF8A with the following serial number: BACL 1201051
The throttle grip on the handlebar will not turn even with the friction knob loosened off to it's fullest extent. The throttle linkage under the cover works freely and is well greased. I can't for the life of me figure out how to take apart the twistgrip throttle handle to figure out what could be causing it to stick. When I loosen off the friction knob, it extends about 1/8" outside of the rubber twist grip handle. In your above message, you say to lift the rubber away from the handle and squirt wd40 between the rubber and the pipe grip. Is this best done from the friction knob end or the engine side of the handle? I don't understand how you can spin the metal pipe grip off the mechanism without undoing any screws or bolts keeping it in place. If it just spins off, what keeps it from spinning off when you turn the rubber outer casing? Any clarification or help with this would really be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Tom,

The twist grip is held by one screw see part #27 that goes through the end (on the right) of part number 10 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H... JPN, VIN# B100S-1600001/HANDLEBAR/parts.html

I know this is for a BF100 but it is the same for the BF 8. Once you take the screw out and loosen the tension adjustment the whole assembly will twist off with the rubber cover.

Mike
Confirm please that I don't have to remove the rubber cover from the pipe in order to remove it.

The whole thing can come off together. The manual does say to take the rubber off first, but I have taken them off as a unit. The only hitch is if the friction adjuster is stuck in the handle, you have to work the rubber around the adjusting screw. Then do the opposite when you put it back together. As long as you can get the plastic cover off enough to get the little screw out.

If in doubt, just spray some wd-40 under the rubber grip like william_m posted and use a narrow screwdriver to work it in and work the rubber grip off. It will be easiest to do this while it is still on the motor anyway...things start getting rather slippery.

Mike

Back