Logo

temp problem

shrek

ok i have a 1989 VIP with omc 4.3 what temp is it suppose to be at after warming up? i replaced the impeller and took thermostat out and it is still getting over 220. how can u check the water pump on the engine to see if it working? i know my old chevy truck when the water pumps goes out it will leak out of a hole on the bottom of pump letting u know the pump is bad. would that be same for the 4.3? is it possible for the engine to have air trapped in it and not letting water flow through it. i need help

you could have scale build up in engine are risers[manifolds] when you have it running are the hoses real tight to the squeeze on the water pump if so you have a restriction problem, but you need the thermostat in there make sure screens are clean on outdrive check for dirtdobber nests on outdrive at the pickups

You should have 4 hoses on your t-stat housing, 1 big one going down to the engine mounted water pump, 2 others each going to an exhaust manifold, the last one is your supply hose coming from the transom (assuming you don't have a heat exchanger). Take that hose off and hold it facing up, start the engine and you should have 2 to 4 inches of water coming out, if not then there could be a blockage or a problem with the drive water pump.

Jeezis, don't run it without a thermostat. The engine should be at 160 which is what the T-stat is set for. As stated above look for blockage. Old impeller vanes are culprit number one. If an impeller has come apart then it will choke up the flow with little bits of rubber. Look for this particularly at bends and restrictions (like where hoses connect)
Doubtful it's your main circulation pump unless it has disconnected between the shaft and pump vane...very unlikely.

what does a heat exchanger look like were on motor is it

Big metal tube with hoses sticking out. Like 3-4 inches in diameter and 12-18 inches long. May be on side under exhaust or on front on brackets.

Back