Logo

TAMD71D Parts

I own a 1984 Chris Craft Commander 410 with 2 TAMD71D Volvo Penta Diesel Engines. I have a problem with the starboard engine that I have tried to address over the years that seems to now be a critical failure. Shortly after purchasing the boat in 2015 while doing maintenance I noticed a small amount of oil in the coolant. Over the years I have watched and made mental note of how much (it has mostly been a small amount, and originally thought someone perhaps dumped oil into the coolant fill and what was left over was what remained)

In 2019 I reworked the entire cooling system on the engine and pulled the coolers and had them cleaned and pressure tested. All good according to the shop that did the work. I have always questioned the Oil Cooler as it would be one of the places oil could be introduced into the Closed cooling system.) I have some mechanical skills and not afraid to dig into the engine when needed. This problem though seems a bit daunting as I was hoping the new Oil cooler gaskets and O-rings would solve the problem since it seemed like such a small amt of oil.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago,
the last 2 trips I noticed an increased amt of oil in the coolant before setting out on a short run. On the last trip, I watched the oil pressure drop from the normal 38-44psi down into the mid 20's. I am fearing the worst but wondering if where I should start with diagnosis and finding parts should I need them?

Thanks to anyone with experience.
Tom

I own a 1984 Chris Craft Commander 410 with 2 TAMD71D Volvo Penta Diesel Engines. I have a problem with the starboard engine that I have tried to address over the years that seems to now be a critical failure. Shortly after purchasing the boat in 2015 while doing maintenance I noticed a small amount of oil in the coolant. Over the years I have watched and made mental note of how much (it has mostly been a small amount, and originally thought someone perhaps dumped oil into the coolant fill and what was left over was what remained)

In 2019 I reworked the entire cooling system on the engine and pulled the coolers and had them cleaned and pressure tested. All good according to the shop that did the work. I have always questioned the Oil Cooler as it would be one of the places oil could be introduced into the Closed cooling system.) I have some mechanical skills and not afraid to dig into the engine when needed. This problem though seems a bit daunting as I was hoping the new Oil cooler gaskets and O-rings would solve the problem since it seemed like such a small amt of oil.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago,
the last 2 trips I noticed an increased amt of oil in the coolant before setting out on a short run. On the last trip, I watched the oil pressure drop from the normal 38-44psi down into the mid 20's. I am fearing the worst but wondering if where I should start with diagnosis and finding parts should I need them?

Thanks to anyone with experience.
Tom
Sounds like a head gasket, or did you find out something else?

Back