Logo

Tachometer works when it wants to

Skooter

Advanced Contributor
Engines are now running excellent, I couldn't be happier with the exception for my tach intermittently working, it is not jumping on and off, rather it may be off 30 min then suddenly work for a couple hours on my 03' BF200. I checked connections/wires on back of tach, all seem good...any suggestions?

First, rotate the selector switch on the back of the tachometer back and forth several times and put it back at the original setting.

Sometimes the contacts get corroded/dirty. This procedure helps clean them off.

If that does not work, get some jumper wires with alligator clips and connect them to a volt meter or test light. Connect the other ends to the ground and the ignition terminals on the back of the tachometer. Check the volt meter or light when the tach quits to see if it is losing power.

If it does not lose power, then move the lead from the ignition terminal to the signal terminal. You will need a meter for this one. You should read greater than 2 volt DC on this lead when the motor is running. If that voltage goes away, then it is time to follow the grey lead and its connections under the dash....into the wiring harness....and back at the engine.

Mike

Back