Logo

T60 performance/prop

rbecklund

Last spring I bought a used T60 to go on my 18' Lund Pike style boat. I did not know at the time that it was intended to be on a pontoon, nor would I have thought there was a difference. I have been adjusting the height of the motor to get more performance (speed) out of it. When I first got it I could only get 21mph out of it and no matter what I did with trimming it would not get up in RPM like it should. I bought one of those fins for it and that did not help either. I was told that if I move the motor up it will help. I moved it up one hole and it did help some, noticeable higher rpms and a couple more mph on speed. It still wasn't quite there so I went up one more hole and it improved alot. I was able to get 29mph out of it and didn't have to trim as much to get that max speed. When I got there tho it would start porposing so I would have to back down a little bit.

I have a 13" prop with a 15 pitch. 3411-135-15 part number. I am wondering if I should change the pitch or diameter to get more performance or should I just leave it the way it is. Thanks for your help!

I do not have the fin on it after it didn't really help. I took it off and did not play with it again.

so a couple of things... what is the max HP rating for your boat based on the USCG plate? 60hp seems on the low side for an 18ft lund deep V. I could be wrong, but I would guess it more in the 75-90hp range...but not sure of the boat specs so go off of the plate...

What max RPM are you getting with the prop you have on there now? at WOT you want to be in the neighborhood of 5500-6,000 rpm.

you can do tons of things with different props, but for most of them, there is a little give and take.

My boat is a tiller and is actually rated for 55hp, but if it was a counsel it would have been 75hp. I am cheating it a little bit. I am not sure on the rpms, there must be something out there that I can purchase to be able to know?

Ok so this must be one of the lighter style boats then...

there are a number of different style tachometers you can buy.

Nothing fancy here but anything like this will work for no more than you need.

Knowing your WOT RPMs is a key step in getting the right prop for a boat.

Back