Logo

Syncronized, how important

Masagana

Running carburetored 454's in my older 31' Tiara. They both purrrrrr like a kitchen, run consistently at 150, (probably a little low), and use absolutely no oil. In fact the port side's oil, (500 + hours SMOH), looks like it just came from the bottle after 75 hours.

Now the question, my Starboard side's Morse control has throttle creep which makes it difficult to consistently run the motors at the same RPM. I'm still working on a solution for that

Whats the bad part of running them within a 100 rpm of each other for short periods?

Your morse control should have a tension adjustment to eliminate your issue...a www search should locate the instructions for it.

Running out of sync for brief periods will likely have no long term impact if done with minor RPM difference...a lot will depend upon your specific hull and the condition of its running gear.

Unfortunately my Morse controls are the ones with no tension adjusting screws

The only solution I've seen involves putting a cable clamp on the throttle cable to slightly crimp the outside causing friction on the inner cable

I'm not thrilled with that, so still searching

Assuming that these are the older Morse twin lever controls:

If you have the U-Flex Morse controls.... there is a tension control.
31AXT6i9LvL.jpg

UFlex Single Function Two - Lever Controls with Bent Lever. Sharp black and chrome finish looks great in your boat!
Durable, and ready for years of boating fun! Check out the details: Flush mount is suitable for exposed positions such as flying bridge; Made of marine aluminum
with chrome-plated level; Throttle lever is provided with adjustable brake tension; release system and shift lever with forward, reverse ad neutral
detents; Comes with neutral safety switch; For use with Ultraflex C2, C8, MACHZero and all 33C-style engine control cables (Ultraflex 22 and all 43C-style
cable requires K22 connection kit); Exceeds EN 11547 standards when X12 safety switch is installed.

The Twin-S is a much better Throttle/Shift control, and also offers friction control.

Single-function control - each lever controls throttle OR shift. Ideal for inboards, stern drives and outboards, the S controls are suitable for single or dual station use. These single function engine controls are available in both one or two-lever models. Both S controls use 3300 and 4300 type cables. not suitable for use with Mercury and OMC OEM type control cables.

Features
Highly polished stainless steel cover
Simple, rugged, compact design
Easily adjustable throttle friction and shift detent feel
Optional neutral safety switch to prevent starting in gear
Optional hand lever extension
Optional shift detent kit (if used in dual stations; use on main station only)
Option throttle hold kit
Uses 3300 and 4300 type cables
Mechanical advantage - shift 2.771:/throttle 2.77:1
Meets/exceeds all applicable industry standards
Teleflex recommends using TFXTREME Cables with this control

I believe that the somewhat inferior (IMO) SR Twin Top-Mount Control does not offer a friction adjustment.

45859.jpg

SR Twin Top-Mount Control

Double Lever - Single Function

Ideal for inboards and multiple station boats - "SR Twin" is rugged and made with the
finest marine-grade materials. Each lever controls throttle or shift.

A popular control which accepts 43 type universal cables.
Other features include:
- Stainless steel cover
- Optional neutral safety switch and detents
- Uses 33 or 43 series universal cables
- Ideal for boats with an inboard engine using a hydraulic transmission

Last edited:
My Morse controls (came with a 2002 Pursuit) have the cable clamp solution, and it is shown in their installation book. So they thought it was OK (back then).

The Morse controls on my 1985 31 Tiara and a friends 1999 both have the tension adjustment screw. Take off the Chrome cover and you will see it.

I've taken off the chrome cover before and just now did it again.

I have a threaded hole on top of each lever assembly that looks to be 3/8 or 1/2 inch, could that be where the adjusting screw should be?

I'm in the Bahamas right now, otherwise I'd send a photo

I'm unconvinced a 31' Pursuit with twin 454 would have any issue with any rpm combination for any length of time. The boat is too heavy, the hull is too thick, the engines are too light. If I was in a B17 it might be a different story with some thin piece of aluminum somewhere. :)

Back