Logo

switchbox heat issues - put rubber strips between head and box?

FstaRockr Burns

Regular Contributor
Hi there - just replaced my switchbox and was wondering if i should perhaps mount it away from the head with some rubber strips? so it doesnt absorb the heat from the motor?

also - im very curious to see whats inside the old one - maybe ill find sth that burnt out - going to remove the coating with heat gun and have a peek inside. has anyone replaced some of the components? id love to have a backup box!

All the "guts" are epoxied in there - so will still be messy when you get the case off, but a worthwhile "science project" for those interested :)

If your cooling system is working properly I don't really see a need for further heat protection - you should be able to "touch" your power head even when it's been running for a good while - and the plastic box is a little more durable than your skin when it comes to heat. If it was really an issue the designers probably would have made an allowance for that - but as long as you still have proper ground, I can't really think of anything it would hurt to space it a little further.

Back