Logo

Suzuki 9.9 high Thrust: sudden death

axel greece

2022 Suzuki 9.9 with remote controls. I have a pair on my sailboat. Port motor was running normally, shut them down after an hour or so of running. Checked and topped off oil.

Tried to start motors a day later. Starboard ran as normal, port motor is completely dead. When I turn the key the normal buzzer sounds at the remote but there is no response from the engine. No cranking, no clicking, nothing at all. Both motors run off the same battery bank. I removed, cleaned and replaced all the connectors on the batteries.

Swapped controls and the port remote will start and run the starboard motor. Starboard control will not run port motor. Have swopped ECM with no change. Have checked the three fuses I can see (2 on motor, 1 at remote), visually all wiring is intact from remote to motor and in the motor itself. Cleaned and refastened the ground connections. Nothing.

2022 Suzuki 9.9 with remote controls. I have a pair on my sailboat. Port motor was running normally, shut them down after an hour or so of running. Checked and topped off oil.

Tried to start motors a day later. Starboard ran as normal, port motor is completely dead. When I turn the key the normal buzzer sounds at the remote but there is no response from the engine. No cranking, no clicking, nothing at all. Both motors run off the same battery bank. I removed, cleaned and replaced all the connectors on the batteries.

Swapped controls and the port remote will start and run the starboard motor. Starboard control will not run port motor. Have swopped ECM with no change. Have checked the three fuses I can see (2 on motor, 1 at remote), visually all wiring is intact from remote to motor and in the motor itself. Cleaned and refastened the ground connections. Nothing.
In addition none of the dealers in Fort Myers area can look at the motor any time soon and I am passing through on my way south. I'd buy the Suzuki software and a cheap laptop myself but the motor needs to be running for it to work. If anyone has had a similar problem or has any ideas I'm all ears.

Neutral safety switch? Should be on the shifter control where the shift cable connects to the engine. Place the remote control in neutral and have someone wiggle the switch on the engine while trying to start engine. Check the kill switch, pull out the “frog” and reinstall. It’s a newer engine, my guess something has vibrated loose or a sensor/switch has become misaligned.
Below is a picture of mine, 2009 DF90A different engine but I would suspect they would be similar. I’m not familiar with your engine so I may be way out in left field but your getting what you paid for. Good luck

IMG_6924.jpeg

In addition none of the dealers in Fort Myers area can look at the motor any time soon and I am passing through on my way south. I'd buy the Suzuki software and a cheap laptop myself but the motor needs to be running for it to work. If anyone has had a similar problem or has any ideas I'm all ears.
It is possible to use the SDS software without the motor running, just have to patch in power to the ECU. This video shows how to do this:

With all the work he did turns out it was spark plugs. Have you tried swapping plugs from port to starboard? See if the no start condition follows the plugs. Can’t answer your question about SDS without the motor running, don’t have enough experience. What he says in the video seems to make sense to me, I’d be nervous of screwing something up and frying the ECM.

I agree with you on concern about frying the ECM. SDS won't help with this problem anyway.

Since the problematic motor won't even crank, there's no reason to swap plugs. Your suggestion about neutral safety switch is a good one.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Useful.to know about the ecm. I have tonrespond to a family emergency and have left the boat for 2 weeks. I didn't get a chance to try anything but will report on how it goes once I am.back and can continue.

Back