Logo

Suzuki 150 throttle tension

jrhodes

Anyone have any thoughts why my throttle is so sticky. No problems with shifting, no clunks or grinding when put into gear. Just feels very stiff. Took it in thinking throttle cable might be the fix but was informed that with the throttle cables disengaged from the engine the throttle shifter moved back and forth easily. Told it likely coming from the lower unit but because the oil was grey mechanic felt the hours to replace a $90 part was not cost effective, referring to the grayish-green oil likely meant metal and it was not cost effective to open the lower unit to replace a part when the lower unit is suspected to be going bad. I'll reiterate, no clunking no grinding when putting it in gear. I paid 280 in labor cost and 12 dollar worth of lower unit oil for a problem that was never fixed.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Jeff

On the binnacle there should be a tension screw somewhere, have you tried backing it off a few turns? The shifter components require grease, check your owners manual for location. One would assume your mechanic checked what I’ve mentioned but you never know.

On the binnacle there should be a tension screw somewhere, have you tried backing it off a few turns? The shifter components require grease, check your owners manual for location. One would assume your mechanic checked what I’ve mentioned but you never know.
Thank you. I will check this afternoon and let you know what I find.

On my 2009 DF90A I have a grease nipple for the shift shaft. I have to take the starboard plastic panel off to access it, I think you can see it with the panel on. Owners manual would have the location

On my 2009 DF90A I have a grease nipple for the shift shaft. I have to take the starboard plastic panel off to access it, I think you can see it with the panel on. Owners manual would have the location
Thank you William. I will remove the starboard panel and look for a grease nipple. As far as the tension screw on the binnacle, there is no obvious adjustment screw externally, likely on the inside of the binnacle.
I think the problems stems from the shift shaft. Either bent or poorly lubricated. I'm really hoping to find a grease nipple. When when I moved the throttle control forward or back engaging the gear it is very sticking. When throttle control moved to increase idle without engaging the gear it seems to move more freely.

Point #11. That’s all I have for the easy stuff. If grease won’t fix your hard shifting you will have to dig deeper.

IMG_6340.jpeg

Back