Logo

Stuck In The Mudd

StuckInTheMudd

I have a 1987 Reinell 17 fot ski boat with V8 and a OMC Stern drive. I was out in it the last weekend and when I entered the channel I missed one of the channel markers. Needles to say I got stuck. That was the first mistake. The second was thinking I was close enough to give it a little gas and make it to the channel. I wasn't. I turned off the engine and raised the outdrive which gave me clearance to drift into the channel. Once there I lowered the outdrive and tried to start back up. When I turned the key the started would turn a few inches then stop. Like I had a low battery. Tried it again. Same thing. Hence the third mistake. I burned out my starter.

The question is this. I can manually turn the engine over but it tight. Did I ruin something in the gearing? I checked the lower and upper gear fluid and no metal.

Any Ideas? Thanks

can mud get in somewhere and plug up the rotation of the workings. maybe sucked into the impeller then into the water pump?

I drained all the fluid in the gears and nothing looks abnormal. no metal flakes. I manually rotated the engine with the boat in gear and the propeller rotates with the turn of the engine.

It's possible to suck up enough mud to clog the input pipe in the lower so that the water pump can't draw up any water, that will cause the water pump (in the drive) to over heat and meltdown which would cause the engine to overheat.

I can't imagine that a small stuck would destroy the engine. I think that it simply revealed a larger flaw somewhere in the system. The mud would have to travel a really long way while the prop is turning.
Recharge your battery and try it again. Put the engine on a flusher and run clear water thru it.

Back