Logo

Struggling with one final piece on removal of the steering actuator.

PentaParker

I have a 2007 5.7 G.I. – G. I have the updated steering actuator. It looks pretty close to the older one just a very slightly different design. When facing the actuator, there are two clevis pins on the right that each have cotter pins. The upper clevis
and cotter pin holds the rod that comes out of the hydraulic steering unit that connects all the way to the helm, and the other holds a linkage that runs through the transom that turns the stern drive. That is the one that I’m having a very difficult time getting out. I’ve tapped on it as much as I could on the bottom, and it has risen about a quarter of an inch. it’s very difficult to get vice grips on edge or any kind of leverage underneath it. It seems to be stuck by friction or just a very tight fit due to corrosion. There is limited space to tap it from the bottom. I’m having a difficult time prying on the top portion of it. Anyone have any tricks? Would CRC freeze help?

Thank you for the advice. I finally was able to get it out by tapping it from underneath because it really did take approximately 35 minutes to get it out! Removing the entire assembly was easier than I thought. Cotter pins came out very easy and so did the bolts. sending the unit to five star marine for a look at some minor leaks.

Back