Logo

Strange cooling problem

Solen18

So I have a 79 OMC stringer inboard/outboard. It was running fine until one day it started running a little hot around 180 at high rpm. I noticed if i squeeze my coolant lines while its running, it will run fine for the rest of the day. Unless I turn it off for awhile. Any Ideas?

So I have a 79 OMC stringer inboard/outboard. It was running fine until one day it started running a little hot around 180 at high rpm. I noticed if i squeeze my coolant lines while its running, it will run fine for the rest of the day. Unless I turn it off for awhile. Any Ideas?

It was only running hot at high rpm, if I backed off the rpm it would cool down. Do you think this could be an impellar? Or a vapor lock in the cooling system?

I kept squeezing my water hose while it was running in neutral at high rpm and suddenly wam the temp went down. Its like it had a air bubble right where it reads temp or something? very strange. Would like to know if anyone has changed a impeller on a 1980 800 omc. do you have to pull the outdrive off? I read it in the repair manual but it doesn't say anything about it. I would like to change the impeller this when I winterize it. Any other suggestions on replacements or fluid changes I should do before or after I winterize??

Back