Logo

Stiff tiller steering on Mariner 9.9HP

Mgdad

I believe this is a 1994 Model. Serial number is 0D071989 but I couldn't verify model year online yet. The steering seems really stiff. It is worse at full speed. I can't seem to locate anything on the motor to loosen the steering. Even just sitting at idle it is a little stiff. I did adjust the tilt position to position 3 which helped a little when at full speed, but am I possibly missing something. I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how I might ease the steering and if anyone could verify the model year that would be great too. Many thanks. (re-posted here as originally posted in wrong forum)

Your motor is a 1991 model.

There is a grease fitting on the extreme lower portion of the swivel bracket (on the left side up against the boat transom side if you are standing behind the motor looking at the prop).

There are grease seals at both the top and bottom of the bracket with the theory being that you fill it up with grease (basically from top to bottom) and that stops it from seizing).

I would suspect like most motors of this vintage, that the last grease it saw was when it was packed at the factory.

I just went and double checked my thinking (own a 91 model myself) and there is no "tension" adjustment of any kind to tighten/loosen the amount of tension on the shaft itself - it "is what it is" and if yours is stiff it's because it's either seizing or full of crud (busted seal let cooties in etc).

I would suggest you attach a grease gun to the nipple (down at the bottom) and pump in whatever she will take - if a seal is blown you will see the grease oozing out of either the top or bottom of the bracket in short order - but that may get enough in there that you can work it and loosen things up.

Alternately, the bracket can be pulled and seals replaced/guts cleaned up, but that is a fair undertaking - best avoided if possible...

Thanks for your advice. I will get out my grease gun and give that a try. I also found a bolt on the left side that did loosen the swivel bracket. I think this is a co-pilot feature. That seemed to work as well. Again, thanks for your prompt assistance and happy boating!

Back